That Could Be Me (Ingrid Engen & Lieke Martens)

Hiya this one shot was recommended by one of you guys. I hope you like it.

Ever since Ingrid Engen signed for Barcelona she had been wanting to fit in. she wanted a new change and the Spanish club was what she needed. What she did expect was the quick friendships with the girls, what she wasn’t expecting was the feelings she developed for Lieke Martens. The downfall of all of this is the fact that Lieke is straight and she is also married. Her husband was a nice handsome man, that was the issue here.

Ingrid knew she was gay at a young age. She’s had too many people tell her that she’s a sin, she’s going to hell, she’s too pretty to be gay. She frankly doesn’t care anymore and embraces her sexuality. She has had a few girlfriends but they never worked out. The media like to make out she’s been with this girl and that girl from her teams but none of them were true apart from one, her Norwegian teammate, Marie. This crush is hard because it is on a straight girl. She can’t help but admire the Dutch woman from afar. Captivated by her sheer beauty. She falls more each day.

Barcelona ended their season on top but lost the champions league to Lyon. Engen had a great first season, met some new friends, settled with the club and earned herself an unrequited crush too. It’s been quite a year for the Norwegian. What she was not expecting was Lieke saying goodbye. Her contract had ended with Barcelona. Ingrid was sad because she never told the Dutch how she felt for her, not that she would have told her this soon anyways.

It was a nice sunny day in the middle of June in Barcelona when the Dutch announced her departure from the club. There were hugs from the teammates but the Norwegian didn’t want to say goodbye. She gave Lieke a smile and walked out of the room. This confused the Dutch midfielder.  Ingrid made her way into one of the conference rooms. She sat down and sighed. All of this over a silly little crush. She was having such an internal battle with her thoughts that she didn’t know the door had been opened.

“Ingrid” she was startled, she looked at the door to see the Dutch standing there with worry laced on her face. She sat down next to the Scandinavian. Ingrid looked down till she felt a soft hand on hers. She looked into brown eyes.

“Is everything okay?” The Dutch asked. Ingrid softly smiled, holding Lieke's hand.

“Yeah, everything is fine" she replied.

“Then why did you leave?” she questions again, hurt on her face.

“Oh, it’s nothing. You wouldn’t understand” the Norwegian said, softly rubbed her finger on the other midfielder’s hand.

“try me, Engen" she challenged. Ingrid let out a shaky sigh before giving in.

“Do you love your husband?” She questions, Lieke frowned at the question.

“Ben?  Of course I do, why do you ask?” Lieke softly gasped. “Do you like someone?” she asked. Ingrid blushed, giving it away. Lieke smiled. “You do! Who is she?” Lieke asked ‘well here goes nothing’ Ingrid thought. She took a deep breath and relaxed.

“It’s you Lieke" she said. The Dutch woman froze. ‘This is why I didn’t want to tell you' the Norwegian thought.

“W-w-what?” Lieke stuttered.

“I like you Lieke. Have done for a while. I know you’re married and straight but I can’t help how I feel about you. You’re just so likeable” the Norse midfielder said. Lieke didn’t know what to say. She let go of Ingrid's hand and stud up. “Lieke-"

“Don’t. Why did you have to tell me? Why didn’t you keep it to yourself.  You know I’m married Ingrid I just- I just can’t.  I’m sorry" Lieke walked out of the room leaving a crying heartbroken Norwegian on her own.