The Southern Air Temple

As the sun rises, Polu rolls to his other side. Just five more minutes.

The boy hides his head in his parka in an attempt to muffle Aang and Katara's voices.

"Wait till you see it, Katara. The Air Temple is one of the most beautiful places in the world."

Katara sighs and turns to face the Avatar. "I know you're excited, Aang, but it's been a hundred years since you've been home."

Aang turns to face her with a wide smile. "I know! That's why I'm so excited."

She gives him a sympathetic glance. "It's just that a lot can change in all that time."

Aang grins persistently as he turns to look down at the sleeping teens. "I know, but I need to see it for myself." He floats to the ground and walks over to the elder of the group.

"Sokka, Polu, wake up! Air Temple, here we come!" He smiles broadly.

Sokka groans and rolls over. "Sleep now. Temple later."

"Just five more minutes," Polu complains.

Katara shivers as a mischievous smirk spreads on the Avatar's face.

The boy grabs a stick and draws it up and down Sokka's bag. "Sokka, wake up! There's a prickle snake in your sleeping bag!"

With a scream, Sokka hops up and bounces around the area. "Get it off! Get it off!" Almost as soon as he stands, he trips over Polu and lands across his legs.

The youngest boy laughs. "Great. You're awake. Let's go!"

The teens exchange a glare. He's going to pay for this.

~~~~~

While Katara and Aang sit on Appa's head, Sokka and Polu remain in the saddle. The latter has since curled into his parka and gone back to sleep. The former clutches his stomach as it rumbles.

"Hey, stomach, be quiet all right? I'm trying to find us some food." He opens his bag and gapes as mere crumbs fall into his hand. "Hey! Who ate all my blubbered seal jerky?"

"Oh, that was food?" Aang faces Sokka with a sheepish smile. "I used it to start the campfire last night. Sorry."

The teen shoots up. "You what?" He moans. "No wonder the flames smelled so good."

"The Potola Mountain Range!" The airbender turns around. "Polu, wake up! We're almost there!"

The teen grumbles as he shifts in his sleep.

"Sokka, will you do the honors?"

The nonbender smiles wickedly. "Absolutely." He reaches over and yanks the hood from Polu's head while shouting, "Wake up, sleepyhead!"

Sokka hardly has time to react before water slaps him away. "Hey! What gives?"

Polu shoots a glare at Sokka as he stretches. "Wake me like that again, and it won't just be your face that's soaked, boy."

Boy? He's the same age as me! Sokka narrows his eyes as Polu faces the mountains in front of them. What is his deal?

Katara turns to her friend. "Aang, before we get to the temple, I want to talk to you about the airbenders."

Polu stiffens. That tone... something tells me the monks really are extinct.