The Siege of the North: Part 2

"I can't believe I lost them," Katara cries. She falls to her knees, guilt consuming all of her energy.

Sokka sighs. "You did everything you could. And now we need to do everything we can to get them back."

A teary-eyed Katara glances back at her brother.

"Zuko can't have gotten far carrying two people. We'll find him." Sokka smiles at his sister. "Aang and Polu are gonna be fine."

Katara stands and wipes her tears away.

~~~~~

"Advisor Polu. It is a pleasure to meet you, at long last."

The teen bows respectfully.

"I assume Taala has told you to speak with me?"

Polu nods once. "Yes, Great Spirit. I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind?"

The spirit hums quietly, swimming in a circle, before stopping to meet the boy's eyes. "Yes, I suppose that's all right. What is it you wish to know?"

Polu rests on the nearest bridge. "Do... do you know why Taala decided I needed to learn waterbending, instead of fire or air?"

La swims in a circle while they think. "Taala... Permit me a moment to recall who that is."

The prince frowns but nods nonetheless. "Of course, La."

After a minute, the koi fish seems to stare up at Polu. "The Spirit of the Night Sky."

"Yes, that's her." Polu feels suspicion rise in his stomach, but says nothing.

The spirit says, "I believe she mentioned something about malicious firebenders in your future, is that right?"

Polu nods slowly. "Yes, although it would be in the past now. I was burned badly by one of the previous Fire Lords for not contributing to the end of the Avatar Cycle."

La seems to nod. "That may have been what she said. As for air, if I remember correctly, Taala mentioned that it was the wrong element for you. That you needed to be strong and stubborn like earth, but also loose and adaptable like water."

The teen hums. "They're almost complete opposites in that sense."

La chuckles deeply. "Yes. Many believe water and fire to be opposites, and in nature that is true. When it comes down to philosophy, though, earth and water are more different than their counterparts."

"So, other than philosophy, was there any reason water was the chosen element?"

The spirit circles the pond again. "You'll forgive me if I struggle to recall. It's been over a century since I've had these conversations."

Polu nods quickly. "Of course. It's no problem, Great Spirit."

The fish almost smiles. "Taala may have also said something about your mother being a waterbender?"

The boy frowns and drops his head. "Yes, she was."

"I believe Taala hoped that your connection through water might assist in your relationship with each other," the spirit sighs.

Polu rubs a hand along his arm. "I wish I could say that was the case."

La nods. "Unfortunately, the Spirit of the Stars has always been a sort of... chaotic spirit. She's the kind of spirit to start rumors among humans for the fun of it."