The Northern Air Temple

TW: misgendering, sexism, internalized transphobia

The group sits around a campfire a few nights later. They've learned that this is where a traveler tells stories of lands they have visited.

One problem stands, though. Nobody else is there yet.

So, the group returns to Appa to occupy themselves until the storyteller arrives.

Polu leans close to Sokka and whispers, "Is it time?"

The nonbender glances at Aang's tunic, then back at Polu. "I think it is."

"He's surely forgotten by now..." Polu now casts a look at Aang.

Aang grows uncomfortable under the fleeting stares of his friends. "What? Do I have something on my shirt?" The boy begins to analyze his clothes.

"Don't move!"

The airbender freezes.

Polu continues slowly, as if not to spook his friend. "Don't panic, kid, but there's a spider-wasp on your shirt."

Aang's eyes go wide with fear. "What?! Get it off!"

Sokka crawls forward with his finger outstretched. "Lemme just..." He jerks his finger up and flicks Aang's nose. "Gotcha!"

"Hey!" Aang jumps back and pouts. "What was that for?"

"For waking us with fake prickle-snakes," Sokka grins.

The Avatar throws his hands in the air. The smile on his face betrays his angry tone. "That was like two months ago!"

"Beauty sleep is vital for teens," Polu nods. A shit-eating smirk slowly wipes across his face. "Especially for Sokka- he needs it desperately."

"Wh- hey!" Sokka squawks indignantly as he turns around. "That wasn't part of the plan! We were just supposed to get revenge on the airhead!"

Polu clutches his sides as he laughs. "Oh please- you didn't-" He gasps for breath between words. "You didn't think I wasn't going to- take the opportunity?"

Sokka's face shifts into something calculated and calm. "I was counting on it."

"Huh?" Polu sits upright, all signs of joy dripping into confusion.

"Now!"

Aang and Sokka lurch forward, tackling Polu to the ground. Instantly, their hands are curling to tickle their older friend.

"Hey! No- no fair! Stop it!" Polu screeches and giggles as fingers find his sides and neck.

"What's going on over here?" Katara's voice breaks through Polu's pleadings.

The prince begs, "Katara! Save me!"

"How do I know you don't deserve this?" She taunts.

The three freeze and slowly turn to her.

"What?" Katara backs up as the others come to a stand. "Did I do something wrong?"

"Boys," Polu hums. "She's the only one who hasn't been pranked yet."

Sokka and Aang grin widely.

"You're right," the former chimes.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Polu responds.

Aang's face flushes a bit at the thought. "Absolutely."

The girl yelps as her friends begin tickling her sides. "I'm- sorry I asked!" She giggles. "Stop it! You all ganged up on me!"