The Warriors of Kyoshi

TW: internalized transphobia, dissociation

Sokka stares at the map in his hands. He fights a shiver as Polu's breath hits his neck, the boy studying the parchment from over Sokka's shoulder.

"You have no idea where you're going, do you?"

The teens both glance over the saddle to the Avatar.

"Well, I know it's near water," the boy smiles.

Polu deadpans. "We must be getting close, then." He and Sokka turn back to the map, hopelessly searching for something to match up to the landscape around them.

Aang watches Katara as she carefully threads her needle through the blue fabric. "Momo. Marbles, please."

The lemur ruffles through Aang's robes before popping out and placing the stones in Aang's hand.

"Hey, Katara. Check out this airbending trick." A goofy expression paints his face as the marbles whirl in a circle between his open palms.

The girl's eyes don't leave her sewing for a moment. "That's great, Aang."

Aang's smile falls as he closes his hands. "You didn't even look," he complains.

She turns to face the younger boy quickly. "That's great."

The boy's frown deepens. "But I'm not doing it now."

Sokka hands Polu the parchment they'd been staring at, leaning back against the saddle. "Stop bugging her, airhead. You need to give girls space when they do their sewing."

Polu raises an eyebrow as he rolls the map into his satchel.

"What does me being a girl have to do with sewing?" Katara scowls as she turns to her brother.

"Simple. Girls are better at fixing pants than guys, and guys are better at hunting, fighting, and stuff like that. It's just the natural order of things. Polu, back me up on this." Sokka shoots a confident grin at the older teen.

"Unbelievable," Polu scoffs.

Sokka smiles widely. "I know! It is unbelievable. Girls aren't meant to fight!"

Katara's scowl deepens. There are two of them?

Polu laughs dryly as he crosses his arms. "No, what is unbelievable is that you tell me I was frozen for a century, yet sexist pigs like you still have the audacity to run their mouths."

Sokka's mouth hangs open in pure shock.

Katara smiles as she giggles. "I knew I liked you."

Polu gives a small, grateful smile before Katara turns back to her brother.

"All done with your pants, and look what a great job I did." She throws the cloth at her brother, smacking him in the face.

"I can't wear these! Katara, please!" He sticks his arm through the gaping hole in the fabric to prove his point.

"Relax, Sokka. Where we're going, you won't need any pants," Aang states.

Polu feels fear shift in his gut. "Yeah, I'd prefer it if we all remained clothed."

Aang ignores his friend as he steers the bison.

~~~~~

After another while of flying, the four finally land on a large island.

"We just made a pit stop yesterday," Sokka whines. "Shouldn't we get a little more flying done before we camp out?"

Polu nods as Katara speaks up. "He's right. At this rate, we won't get to the North Pole until spring."