The Cave of Two Lovers

TW: mentions of abuse, internalized transphobia, threats of murder

While his friends all spend time in one part of the lake, Polu takes the time to find a secluded spot. There, he disrobes down to his undergarments and cleans his clothes. He frowns at the tear in his top. Maybe Katara can teach me how to fix it.

Polu tosses his pants and top over the branch of a low-hanging tree. He dips his head under the surface of the water and takes care to wash his hair well. Over the last few months, he's noticed it grow longer, resulting in it needing more care. I wonder if Sokka would help me style it in a way that honors Mother's heritage.

At the thought of his mother, Polu winces. Reminders of the repetitive dream flash through his head.

Reminders of Tola sitting in the judge's seat. Reminders of her accusing Polu of abusing her. Reminders that, in his dream, she had set Polu equal to his cruel father.

Polu resurfaces, gasping for air. His chest hurts, and he remembers just how little quality sleep he'd gotten over the last several weeks.

He sloshes through the water and weakly bends the remaining droplets from his clothes. He pulls his top over his head and groans. It's still damp. Oh well, I'll just ask Katara later.

The prince shuffles back over to where his friends are, cursing himself for being too tired to bend properly anymore. As if on cue, he yawns.

"What happened with General Fong must've taxed the last of my stored energy," Polu says to himself. He finally reaches the others. "Hey, guys, when-"

He's cut off by the sound of music in the distance. Am I going crazy? Have I finally lost it?

Polu glances at each of his friends. "You're hearing that, right?"

Sokka nods in response.

It's then that Polu notices that Sokka's hair is down. He turns in the direction of the approaching music to hide the blush blooming across his cheeks.

A man's voice can be heard singing, "Don't fall in love with a traveling girl. She'll leave you broke and brokenhearted."

Splashing comes from behind Polu. He turns back around to find Sokka standing up after falling off his giant leaf. Polu snorts.

"Hey, river people!"

Katara tilts her head. "We're not river people," she objects.

"You're not?" The singing man asks. "Then what kind of people are you?"

"Just... people," Aang replies.

"Aren't we all, brother?" The man raises his hands and cheers.

Sokka stalks forward and points a finger at the man. "Who are you?"

"I'm Chong," the man replies.

"This is my wife, Lily." A woman in brown robes nods to the group.

"We're nomads. Happy to go wherever the wind takes us." The man strums his instrument.

That sounds familiar, Polu thinks. He yawns again.