The Dam

Sokka returns to the group's hut a few minutes later, leaving Polu alone on the platform below.

The teen rests his chin on his knees and looks up to the night sky. Almost as soon as he does, Polu finds the familiar dagger constellation amongst the bright stars.

"Did I do the right thing? Should I have told him?" The prince stares at the formation, half expecting to get some sort of response from the Spirit above.

Polu finds himself so transfixed on Taala's constellation that he doesn't sense the person approaching.

"It won't matter, soon."

The teen panics as a cloth is shoved into his mouth. Several pairs of hands wrap around him and, despite his best efforts, Polu finds himself slowly succumbing to the pull of unconsciousness.

"Sleep well, Prince."

~~~~~

"Mister Poleng!" A 5-year-old Hera bounces in front of the tall brunette.

The servant smiles down at her. "Good morning, Princess Hera. How can I help you?"

The girl giggles sweetly as she meets his gaze. "Mama said my lessons are with you today!"

Poleng's face slacks in surprise. "She did? What did the Queen say I am to teach you?"

Hera is suddenly shy. She ducks her head, blushes bashfully, and spins her foot on its ball. "Mama said that you're the nicest, most thoughtful-est person in the whole world! She told me that I should learn to be like you!"

The man flushes a light shade of pink. "Her Majesty said that about me?"

The princess nods gleefully. "Yes! She says that I learn how to be a good Queen from Father, but that I'm to learn how to be a nice Queen from you!"

Poleng smiles gently as he stifles a laugh. He opens his hand for Hera to take before leading her down the palace hallway. "I'd be honored to teach you, Princess. Why don't we start in the library?"

The girl hops joyously. "You're the greatest, Mister Poleng!"

~~~~~

"He's out. Let's get a move on before his friends wake up."

Sokka peels an eye open at the sound of Jet's voice. Quietly, he stands and pulls the tarp door aside. His eyes widen at the sight of Polu slung over Pipsqueak's shoulder.

Without a second thought, he chases after them. What do they want with him?

Several agonizing minutes later, Jet's group comes to a stop at an overlook.

"Now listen. You're not to blow the dam until I give the signal. The Fire Nation troops could survive if the reservoir isn't full." Jet points at Pipsqueak. More specifically, he points at the dead weight on the teen's shoulder.

"I need you to get the traitor down to that first drop-off. Tie him up, but don't let him touch the ground. If he really cares about his people, he'll do anything to stop the flood. If he fails, anybody who knew he's alive will rejoice."

The youngest boy hops over the cart and stares up at his leader. "What about the people in town? Won't they get wiped out too? And does Polu really deserve to just die like this?"

Jet bends down to soothe the boy. "Look, that's the price of ridding this area of the Fire Nation and our Kingdom of a traitor."

He stands up and restates his instructions.