The Spirit World

The next morning, Sokka gives Polu an odd stare.

"What? Do I have dirt on my face?" The boy moves to wipe his face with his blue sleeve.

The Water Tribe boy shakes his head. "No, I'm just trying to figure out why you and my sister were so buddy-buddy last night."

Polu's expression lights up in understanding. "Oh! We went for a late-night walk, and we talked about what we'd seen on the ship. When we got back, the fire was nearly out and we were cold. There's nothing to worry about."

Sokka narrows his eyes as if to easier see any lies the older might be spewing before nodding. "It better stay that way."

I don't even like women in any romantic form. Polu sighs and continues packing his things.

~~~~~

The group soars through the peaceful sky, each attending to their own pastimes.

Polu occupies himself with a bit of earth from his satchel. He practices heating it up and turning it into dripping magma. He manipulates the magma and shapes it into various objects before settling on a dagger form.

He winces as he pulls water from the air around them to cool the magma. Though it takes some time, he finally manages to cool the rock enough to shape it with metal from another pouch in his bag.

"Is your bag like a magical element holder or what?" Sokka asks from across the saddle.

Polu continues whittling away the tiny inconsistencies of the grip. "Yes, Sokka. I have fire just stored up in my bag." He shoots an unimpressed glare at the younger boy.

"Hey, it was just a question. Why do you need a knife anyways? Back in Haru's barn, didn't you say you have one?"

The Advisor sighs and sets his tools in his lap. "I had a knife. It was a gift from my brother, but it seems that I've lost it. I'm in need of a new one, so I'm crafting it."

Sokka frowns. "Can't you bend one from the rock? Why go through the trouble of whatever bending that was and then carving it?"

"Lavabending," Polu offers. "It's not a skill I like to use, but it makes cooler daggers. Plus, I like the involvement of making your own weapons by hand."

He raises an eyebrow, expecting a retort from Sokka. When he doesn't get one, he returns his attention to carving symbols into the base of the blade. He hums to himself as he goes through the familiar movements.

"I'll try it!"

Polu's head jerks up, allowing his grip on the metal to falter and slice his finger. He grimaces and reaches for bandages. "Aang, I swear, if you-"

Once again, Polu is cut off by the youngest boy's actions.

Spirits, one of these days I'm going to strangle that kid. Please find it in yourselves to forgive me.

He finishes wrapping his thumb and refocuses on carving into his blade. His tongue sticks out as he does so, determined to get the exact details right with no help from his bending.

He shrieks as water splashes him, causing him to slip and cut his other thumb. "Aang!"

The boy chuckles apologetically. "Sorry, Polu."

Polu sighs, finding himself incapable of staying upset with the Avatar, before setting his knife down. He bends a bit of water from a passing cloud and encases his newest wound in the liquid as Katara points to something below.

He tunes the teenagers out as he continues on to heal his other finger, relaxing when the pain eases and the water is released into the atmosphere.

~~~~~