The Waterbending Master

TW: brief traumatic flashback, suggestive comments (all that's happening is Polu receiving severe frostbite)

As the other three argue about the long journey, Polu shivers and curls further into his parka.

~~~~~

"I can turn a failure into a worldwide success. First, let us make sure the world knows who your future husband is."

11-year-old Hera whimpers as hands hold her down.

"Hold still, dear girl. If you do, it'll be much more pleasant."

The preteen wriggles as she attempts to escape. "No! Please, I'll do anything, just don't hurt me!" She cries loudly.

The Chief of the Northern Water Tribe scoffs and points at one of his 'assistants'. "Ensure nobody interrupts this marking."

"Yes, Sir," the man responds.

"Now sit back, Princess. It'll be over before you know it."

~~~~~

"Look, we're all just a little tired and cranky because we've been flying for two days straight."

Polu sits upright, breathing heavily. In a blur of vehement desperation, the teen rips his necklace from his throat and rubs a cold hand against his marred skin.

"And for what?" Sokka snarks. "Oh, hey Polu."

The prince doesn't acknowledges the greeting. Instead, his attention is drawn to the cold sensation of his hand against the burning feeling of the skin around his vocal cords.

"There's nothing up here," Sokka whines.

"Good. Turn back," Polu manages.

Aang frowns at his friend. "No, we need to keep going."

"Hate it," the noirette grumbles.

"Po?" The Avatar's eyes go wide with realization. "Oh, is it burning again?"

Before Polu can answer, Appa jerks to the side. In one hand, Polu clutches his prized necklace; in the other, he grips Sokka's hand as tight as he possibly can.

The bison quickly rights himself only to be spun around after a collision with an iceberg.

Before any of the children can process what's happened, Appa is tossed onto the surface of the water. They groan and hold their heads in their hands.

Polu turns green and bends over the water. As soon as he does, he loses his last two meals.

"They're waterbenders," Katara murmurs. "We found the Water Tribe!"

Sokka shoots Polu a concerned glance before staring between the boats. "More like they found us."

~~~~~

As the large group heads toward the Northern Water Tribe, a boat steadily makes its way closer to Polu's side of the saddle.

A boy around Polu's age smiles up at the prince. "Are you Prince Polu? From the Earth Kingdom?"

Polu finds one of his hands drifting to seek comfort in the renewed feeling of the necklace hanging from his neck. Hesitantly, he nods.

"Your mother was Queen Tola, right?"

The prince nods again. "Yes, she was. Why do you ask?"

"My name is Sadu. Your mother is my great-great grandmother's sister!"