The Waterbending Scroll

TW: transphobia, traumatic flashbacks, suggestion of non-consent

"Why did you run?"

Polu stumbles and looks around for the familiar voice. His eyes search the seemingly endless black before resting on a twelve-year-old Bumi. "What?"

Before the prince's very eyes, his brother quickly morphs through decades of aging before changing entirely. Polu falls on his rear as his breath falters, eyes dancing with fear.

The man stands at an impossible 6'5, with sharp cheekbones helping to showcase his acidic green eyes. His black hair cascades in an elegant braid.

A disgusted scowl creeps onto the king's face as he speaks. "Why did you run? I gave you everything a girl like you could have asked for."

Something lodges itself in Polu's throat. He finds himself fighting to use his voice, hardly loud enough to hear. "I ran because Azulon wanted to rid the world of all that is good. And I'm not a girl."

King Milan scoffs as he crouches to Polu's level. The teen flinches as the man's hand firmly grasps his son's jaw. "You are a coward."

Polu shuts his eyes tightly and shakes his head. "No. I did what I had to so I could protect the ones I love."

A melancholic sigh causes Polu to pry one of his eyes open. Anger quickly molds into guilt and grief. "Mother."

A shorter woman with skin lighter than most waterbenders is now kneeling in front of him. Her brown hair is pulled away from her face to reveal striking blue eyes tinted with sorrow.

"How did I fail?" Queen Tola stares at her hands, refusing to meet the trembling gaze of her eldest boy.

"No, Mother, you didn't fail. You never-"

"Then it was you who failed."

Tears sting the prince's eyes, threatening to fall at any moment. "What?" His voice cracks harshly.

"You did not give yourself to Azulon. It was your duty, and you failed." Tola's eyes finally meet Polu's, and his heart shatters at the unadulterated loathing he finds in his mother's gaze.

"No, you have to understand! Azulon, he-"

She stands abruptly. "I do not wish to hear your excuses. You have failed me, both as a daughter and a son."

"Mother please, you know what it's like! You should understand more than anyone else!"

The queen does a magnificent job of ignoring her cowering son. She slowly walks away from him, fading into the surrounding darkness.

"Mom! Come back! Mom!" His voice cracks again and he's left sobbing in the darkness.

"I'm sorry..." he murmurs.

~~~~~

Polu jerks awake to find Sokka sitting in front of him.

"Hey, are you okay? You were crying," Sokka whispers.

Polu runs his hands across his cheeks with a shuddering sigh. "Yeah, bad dream is all." He nervously glances at his surroundings. "Where are we?"

The younger teen can't help but smile as he replies. "We're at a lake so Katara can teach Aang waterbending."

Polu is suddenly fully alert as he throws his things into his satchel. "Great! I wanna see what she can do!" He tugs the strap of his bag over his shoulder and hops onto the ground, bending the earth to soften his landing.