The Storm

Polu meditates on a grassy cliff overlooking a calm, crystal ocean. Beside him rests Sokka, legs cast over the edge in a relaxed manner.

"We need you, Polu."

The prince opens one of his eyes and smiles at his friend. "I need you, too."

Before his eyes, dark grey clouds march through the sky with an ominous clap. Polu jumps to his feet. "Sokka, get to safety!"

He glances to where his friend sat to find the spot empty. Even previously indented grass acts as though Sokka had never existed.

"Sokka?"

Polu spins in a circle. When he stops, he finds a woman standing atop a massive wave over the ocean. "Mom?"

A woeful expression darkens Queen Tola's young face. "Why did you leave?"

The boy feels his heart sink into the water below. "I had to. You know I had to."

Queen Tola sweeps her hand and casts a surge of water at her son.

"Mom!" Polu tries to stop the element. Instead, he is swept away, water forcing itself down his throat. The water is gone almost as quickly as it came. When Polu opens his eyes, he finds himself atop Appa.

"Aang!"

In an instant, he's once again fighting against violent waters. The Advisor's best attempts at bending the water are fruitless.

Voices surround the teen, echoing Sokka's earlier words. "We need you, Polu. We need you."

'I'm trying! Can't you see I'm trying?' The last bit of air escapes Polu's lungs while a bright light shines through the water.

'Aang?'

As he's pulled into colder waters, black seeps into his vision. 'I'm trying. Why can't I do anything? Why am I still not good enough?'

~~~~~

Polu jerks awake, desperately gasping for breath. Across from him, Aang sits in a similar condition.

"Huh? What's going on?"

Polu stands and shakes out the fear in his limbs. As he gains awareness of his surroundings, both Avatar and Advisor answer Sokka's question.

"Nothing. Bad dream is all."

Polu smiles sympathetically at his friend. "Go back to sleep, everyone."

The prince catches bits of his friends' conversation as he paces over to the water. He takes a deep breath and raises a platform of rock through the waves.

When he's satisfied with the height, Polu sits on the flat surface. He crosses his legs and pushes his fists together, just as the nomads had taught him.

The bender hones in on the calm back-and-forth of the water below him. He feels the smallest of vibrations in the earth under him. Through his closed eyes, he can see the light of the moon and its shining stars.

Taala, are you there?

The serenading voice of the Star Spirit does not reply.

Polu lets out a huff as he shifts impatiently. How does Aang do this? Is it some kind of special Avatar thing? Surely I can contact Taala.

The Advisor releases a slow breath and searches for his elements. He smiles softly as a soothing, ever-shifting power courses through his veins. Simultaneously, a stable and consistent energy pounds into existence.