Break-Out

"Earthbenders!" Katara bangs a spoon against a rusty metal lid. "You don't know me, but I know of you." She takes a deep breath once she gains the attention of those around her.

"Every child in my Water Tribe village was rocked to sleep with stories of the brave Earth Kingdom and the courageous earthbenders who guard its borders."

Say what now?

"Some of you may think that the Fire Nation has made you powerless."

Polu watches as the warden stops a guard from heading to the waterbender in the open area. They don't assume us to be any threat. Or, rather, they don't assume her to be a threat. Spirits, I wanna wipe the smug look off his face.

"-They can't take away your courage, and it is your courage that they should fear. It runs deeper than any mine you've been forced to dig. Any ocean that keeps you far from home. It is the strength of your hearts that make you who you are."

Katara smiles, slightly out of breath. "It is your hearts that will remain unbroken when all rock and stone has eroded away. The time to fight back is now!"

Polu sighs quietly as he looks around him. Not a single one of them was moved by that statement. The Fire Nation really has stripped the last of their hope.

"I can tell you that the Avatar is back, and he has with him his Advisor! Remember your courage, earthbenders! Let us fight for our freedom!"

Polu's heart breaks a bit at Katara's defeated expression. I tried to tell her. He glares at the back of the warden's head. I would really like to beat him, though.

Polu offers a hand to his friend and helps her off the table. "I'm sorry, Katara. I really am, but these people have no hope left."

She sighs as she wraps her arms around herself. Katara's blue eyes meet Polu's, sorrow clear as day in her gaze. "Surely there's something we can do to help them? You're their prince, right? There's something you can do?"

He wraps her in a hug, shivering at the cold evening air. "No, there's nothing I can do."

Katara frowns at him.

"Not by myself, anyways. We're gonna need Sokka and Aang for this too, Loops." Polu smirks as the girl's eyes light up and she hugs him tightly.

"I knew you had a plan!"

Now it just has to work.

~~~~~

Hours later, Katara and Polu rest on thin cots next to each other. Katara jumps as a hand rests on her shoulder, Polu slowly waking at the sound of movement.

"Shh," Aang whispers.

The three quietly make their way to the edge of the boat. Katara and Polu had come to an agreement hours before, and now it's time to set the plan in motion.

Sokka sits on Appa's saddle in wait. "Your twelve hours are up. Where's Haru?"

Katara briefly looks at Polu before back at her brother. "We can't."

"We don't have much time. Guards are everywhere," Sokka pleads.

Yes, they certainly are. Polu shudders a bit at the thought.

"Katara, Polu, what's wrong?" Aang's innocent eyes pull at Polu's heart.

"We're not leaving," Katara murmurs.

"I'm not giving up on my people. Katara and I agree that we're not abandoning them on this metal beast." Polu crosses his arms in an attempt to stop their shaking.