Part Twenty-Eight

"Good morning, Lady Zara!" Beatrice exclaimed, panting hard when she got to the receptionist's table.
"Take it easy, dear," Lady Zara tried to calm her down while she typed on the keyboard and stared at the computer screen.
"I'm late," Beatrice breathed out, still trying to catch her breath.
It was all that silly Mia's fault. They had talked and talked, when Mia left her apartment late at night she decided to have more drinks, and she got drunk, waking up late.
"Have a nice day," Beatrice wished Lady Zara and began running towards the elevator, she was late even though Ben was her boss and she could mask her way out from being queried, she doesn't want any of his favors.
Beatrice pressed the button of the elevator repeatedly, wondering what was taking the elevator door to open immediately.
Finally, the elevator door opened, and she rushed inside almost making the files in her arms fall to the ground, she quickly turned around and pressed the button to the first floor.
The elevator door was already closing when it opened, and Beatrice looked forward, wondering what was happening when she gasped.
"Buongiorno Bellezza," That audible deep voice resounded in the elevator space.
Beatrice swallowed hard in awe, staring at the handsome man in front of her.
"Good morning, Mr. Santiago," Beatrice greeted and bowed her head slightly to him.
Santiago smiled at her as he entered the elevator with her.
'What's he doing here? This is a bit early,' Beatrice thought as she pressed the button to the first floor.
"So, what brings you early at this time?" Beatrice asked, holding the files in her arms close to her chest.
"I'm here to see your boss," He answered, and I nodded.
"But you don't have an appointment with him," Beatrice muttered.
"It's urgent," He replied, and Beatrice nodded her head in response.
The silence between them was getting awkward, and Beatrice wished the elevator door would just open.
"I hope your boss wasn't angry with you, about the last event we met and danced to?" He asked suddenly, and Beatrice's throat went dry, pressing the files flat on her breast.
'He was more than angry,' Beatrice answered in her mind.
"He wasn't, he was just that way because he asked me to do something for him at that moment and I hadn't done it then, that's why he got so furious," Beatrice lied through her teeth while Santiago chuckled at her.
"I see you are trying to defend your boss,"
'I'm not!' Beatrice fired at him in her mind, but gave him a stern look with her eyes.
"You see, I know Mr. Clarke more than you do Ms. Coleman, we've been rivals from college until we graduated," Santiago said and Beatrice stared at him astounded.
'Well, I knew him from high school,' Beatrice scoffed and rolled her eyes slightly.
'But about the rival thing between them... No wonder, Ben has been giving him cold shoulders each time he sees me with him, it just makes sense, now,' Beatrice thought solving the puzzle, getting why Ben always got wild and furious each time she was with Santiago.
"Oh! He didn't tell you," He laughed when he stared deeply into her eyes and saw she was a bit confused and curious, a light smile playing on his lips as he moved closer to Beatrice.
Beatrice narrowed her gaze at him and eyed him suspiciously, wondering what he was up to, without moving from her spot.
Then, he leaned closer to her, reaching her face. His gaze flickered to her lips and then back to her eyes, while Beatrice flushed, wondering what was about to happen between them.
Santiago tilted his head to the side of her ear and whispered, "You know, he could be very possessive about things he likes and cares for. I always like to get my hands on them," He muttered in a raspy tone, he was so close to her ear that Beatrice felt his lips brush her earlobe causing her to shudder.
Beatrice moved back immediately, astonished and dumbfounded at the same time, Santiago straightened himself and winked at her, then the elevator door opened.
Without wasting any further minutes, Beatrice scooted out of the elevator and marched towards Ben's office, while Santiago followed behind her as he stared at her.
A million questions began to flood her mind.
Beatrice entered the office, her eyes landed on Ben, who was making a call and swiveling on his chair.
Ben's gaze landed on her, and Beatrice quickly bowed her head slightly to him and walked to her seat and dropped her bag and files on her desk.
"Yes, sir, the contracts will be overdue soon," Ben said over the phone, then his gaze fell on Santiago who gave him a cocky smirk.
Ben's features changed suddenly as he eyed, Santiago and frowned at him.
'Did they come to work together, was that why she was late?' Ben thought angrily, he wasn't even listening to what the other person was saying on the other line.
"I will call you back," Ben dismissed deeply and dropped his phone on the table angrily while Beatrice was watching the both of them discreetly.
"What brings you to my office, Mr. Santiago?" Ben asked viciously, glaring at Santiago, who drew a seat out for himself and sat on the chair, clasping his hands together.
"Business," He answered curtly. Ben's gaze traveled from Santiago to Beatrice, wondering what was going on between them.
"By the way, I stumbled with your secretary in the elevator, she looks so beautiful this morning," Santiago smirked and Ben wanted to punch him, but he kept still.
"Ms. Coleman," Ben called Beatrice's attention, trying to calm himself and not punch Santiago in his face as she looked up and drive her gaze towards his way.
"Yes, sir," Beatrice answered, standing up from her seat.
"Get me two cups of coffee," He ordered, and Beatrice nodded before walking out of the office.
Immediately, she was out of the office, Ben grabbed Santiago by the collar, dragging him up from his seat.
"Woah! Take it easy," Santiago chuckled as Ben clutched his collar in his fist.
"What do you want?" Ben asked, enraged, staring deeply into his bluish-green eyes looking for answers.
"Nothing, or do you think I want her?" Santiago asked, and Ben flared at him, pulling him closer to him by his collar.
"Santiago, you are more mature than this, don't start any troubles now," Ben warned him.
"Do you think I'm starting any troubles?" Santiago asked, he was pissing and infuriating Ben the more.
"Stay away from her," Ben warned dangerously, his blue eyes diluting darker than they ought to be.
Santiago sighed and dragged his gaze away from Ben's furious glares.
"Santiago," Ben called out furiously, demanding whether he complies or not.
"Yes," Santiago resounded dryly.
"Why are you here?" Ben asked sternly once again, and Santiago turned his face back to him, looking directly into Ben's face.
"Like I said earlier, Business!"
Ben growled and pushed him away, while Santiago smirked at him and stretched his neck before adjusting and straightening his collar.
He stared at Ben, giving him a sly smirk when Ben turned around and went to his seat.