sixty eight

"Happy prom night!" Chaeyoung announces as Lisa walks into her girlfriend's bedroom. "You look really pretty, Lili."

At Chaeyoung's appearance, Lisa falters. She's only seen Chaeyoung in a dress like, one time, on their first ever date. But even then, it was just a casual summer dress. But for prom, apparently Chaeyoung's gone all out, allowing her mother to do her makeup and curl her hair properly. Her red dress is long and flowing, fitting her curves perfectly, and Lisa isn't sure she'll ever be able to let Chaeyoung wear her usual jeans and a sweater ever again, because she looks so good.

"Holy shit, Rosie," Lisa finally finds her words, "you look... incredible. Are you- uh, ready to go?"

"Hold on, I want to finish this episode of the documentary series I'm watching," Chaeyoung says, moving her laptop slightly to the left so Lisa can see the screen. The younger girl makes her way over and sits beside Chaeyoung on her bed. "It's about the ocean. I love how... mysterious the ocean is. Like, we don't know what's down there, really. We know more about space than the ocean."

Lisa laughs, and moves the mouse to see how much time is left. Ten minutes. "Well, I guess we can be fashionably late to prom."

Chaeyoung frowns. "It's only a dance, it's not that important. The ocean is."

Lisa resists the urge to ruffle Chaeyoung's hair, what she usual does when her girlfriend says something adorable. Or does anything, really. "We're not even going for that long, Rosie. You said you'd want to leave early, since it'll be loud."

"Mhm," Chaeyoung hums in reply, "we can go somewhere and have fun. I am bringing a spare pair of jeans and a sweater with me, in case we go somewhere that my current outfit isn't suitable for."

"We'll probably just go to McDonald's or something," Lisa shrugs, "but whatever. Can I borrow a hoodie and jeans in case, too?"

"Yes, you can pick them out," Chaeyoung tells her, and Lisa kisses Chaeyoung's cheek and heads over to the closet, eventually settling on the Star Wars sweater she'd bought Chaeyoung what feels like forever ago, and a pair of ripped skinny jeans that Chaeyoung always complains are too tight.

After stuffing them in a bag that they'll leave in the car, Lisa nudges her girlfriend. "Come on. Let's go."

Chaeyoung grumbles. "I'm in the middle of an episode."

"You have like, two minutes left." Lisa says, just as the end credits start to roll. "Look! The two minutes consist of end credits."

Chaeyoung pouts, but closes her laptop and stands up, smoothing out her dress. "Do I look okay?"

"No." Lisa shakes her head. "You look perfect."

Chaeyoung blushes. "Good. I let my mom do my makeup. She was really happy, I've never let her do it before, usually I get Jenniebear to do it. But Jennie was busy getting ready with Jisoo and I was going to go over there and get ready with them, but my mom offered and she was smiling lots and I didn't want her to stop smiling when I said no, so I said yes."

"Cute," Lisa comments, squeezing Chaeyoung's hand and pulling her downstairs. Chaeyoung puts a pair of heels on and wobbles a little as she stands up, staggering over to the door. "Comfy, Rosie?"

Chaeyoung blushes, but nods. "I'm fine. Let's go."

"You're not going anywhere yet," Rosalie says from the lounge, surprising Chaeyoung enough for her to topple over in her heels and catch herself on the door handle. Lisa moves forwards and helps steady her. "We need to take your pictures."

Mason walks out of the lounge with her, holding a camera. "We need pictures of our little girl going to prom."

Chaeyoung blushes again and clings onto Lisa's arm. "It's- it's not that important."