Chapter 17....

*I did a double update so if you are seeing this go back to Chapter 16!*

Tasha

For the second time in a row I was woken up by my phone ringing. Letting it ring I rolled over, burrowing deeper in my bed. There was no way I'm getting up, not when it feels like I just fell asleep. When it stopped ringing I hummed, starting to fall back asleep, only for it to start ringing again.

Nope. Not answering.

Wasn't until the ringing started for the third time did I groan, rolling over and grabbing my phone from my nightstand. Whoever it was better have a good reason.

"What." My voice came out harsh.

"Is that how you speak to your mother?" The voice on the other end of the line making my heart stop. I was not expecting my mother to be the one calling me.

"Sorry." I cleared my throat and started again. "Good morning mother." She just hmm.

"I've been trying to reach you the last few days." My eyes were still closed as I responded

"I told you I was going on vacation with some friends." Of course she didn't remember that part. Too busy only talking about her and my fathers gala.

"Anyways,"Immediately glossing over what I just said. "Your father and I have been talking and it's time." At her words my eyes snapped open and I sat up.

"Time for what?" I did not like the tone she had. Nothing was ever good when my mother used that tone.

"We've let you keep that silly job of yours and do what you've wanted but now the firm needs you." My mother said, her voice calm and firm. "There is going to be a merger between our company and Chaplin Brown, but in order for that to happen-Chaplin wants his son to be married...to you."

It took a minute for my mothers words to sink in. Married. Son. Me.

"Did you just say that in order for the companies to merge I have to marry someone's son?"

"Yes. Now they are going to be at the gala in three weeks so the two of you can meet before we announce the engagement. I..." My mother kept talking but I was long gone.

My parents wanted me to marry some stranger so they can merger their company with someone else? There's no way they actually agreed to this.

"Did you already agree?" I interrupted my mother mid-sentence. Please tell me no.

"Of course." Red hot anger grew in my throat.

"You agreed without even asking me."

"It's not a big deal-"

"Not a big deal?" The voice that came out was one I've never used on my mother before but I was fuming. "This is my life mother, not yours to throw around."

"Tasha Nichole Davis you will not speak to your mother like that."

"I am not doing it."

"Yes, you are."

"I am 25 mother and capable of making my own decisions. That also includes who I am going to marry. And I am not going to marry some stranger to benefit your company." I made sure to put emphasis on 'your' because it wasn't my company. I wanted nothing to do with it. Never have.

"Tasha-"

"I am your daughter! Not some pawn for you and dad to use whenever you please." My whole body was shaking with how angry I was.