Chapter 4

The beach was pristine and nothing like you'd ever seen before. The sand was like a glittery white powder and the ocean was a beautiful turquoise color. The sound of the waves was so soothing. A few beings lay on the shoreline, basking in the sun. "Those are the mermaids." Peter said, gesturing at the figures as he took the first steps out onto the sandy strip.

You followed him onto the sand. It felt soft but it burned your feet. You followed Peter down the beach, towards a cliff. Peter swept you off your feet and leapt into the air, soaring onto the top of the cliff. "Keep your head down." He said, leading you to the edge. It was a beautiful view. Water lapped at the cliff bottom and jetty. Far out you thought you saw a pod of dolphins splashing in the waves.

However the thing that drew you attention was a ship. It was large with a mermaid figurehead. Hanging off the masts were four large black flags. "Pirates." Peter spat. "Pirates?" He pulled a golden spyglass off his belt, unfolding it and peering through. After a few minutes he sneered and tossed the spyglass into your hands, pulling his dagger.

As he dove for the ship you looked through the spyglass, tracing his movements. However looking at the deck of the ship, watching as the pirates scurried around, swords drawn, you paused. One of the pirates, he had a large hat, tan skin and brown hair, was staring at you through his own spyglass. When he noticed you watching he lowered it from his eye, grinning at you and giving you a small wave. You froze, internally panicking. The next time you snapped back to reality, Peter was dragging you away from the cliff edge and back towards the forest. However your mind was still on the edge of the cliff, locking eyes with that pirate.