Chapter 10

A/N: AP US History will be the reason for my death

The next day a thick fog covered the island. You wouldn't have been able to see the ocean from the top of the beach cliffs, if you cared to look. Today it was your turn to help check the river snares at a small brook that fed into a lake in the center of the island.

It was humid and cold. The ground was wet and squished anytime any pressure was put on it. Blue Jay, Swan and Hawk were with you and none of them seemed to be enjoying the inland trek either.

"It's so difficult to walk when it gets like this. But Peter never listens." Hawk said, pulling his shoe free from the muddy ground.

"Well he can fly. It's not our fault we can't just levitate over this." Blue Jay made a vague gesture all around.

"Well I want to go home. Even if we did catch something, hauling it back would be more work than eating some of the already stored food." Swan said, stomping his foot only for it to get caught in the muddy ground.

You nodded along but had a hand on your dagger, constantly peering into the fog. While you didn't have your sight past a certain point you still had your hearing, no matter how much it was muffled. Out there, somewhere following behind, was the squish squash of footsteps. And they were steadily coming towards you.