Chapter 14

"A Neverlander?" You asked. Peter grinned.

"It's a large island, of course we don't have it all to ourselves. The Nederlanders predate my presence here. They stick to the west half of the island where the magic is thickest. They like to be left alone." He said.

The four of you were walking back towards the camp when the hairs on your neck stood up. Someone was watching you.

"When the pirates came the Neverlanders moved west because the cliffs are steeper and the water is more rough. They left me in charge of the east. Occasionally I do meet with them over issues, such as food and water, but we haven't had to do that in a while." Peter continued, as if oblivious to the burning of eyes on your back.
Hawk turned to look back.

"Do you feel it too? The eyes?" You whispered. He nodded. Your hand found your dagger as if waiting for something to jump out.

"The east of Neverland is too easy to invade. There are shoreline caves to hide in and beaches to come ashore. Whereas the west has cliffs that are nearly vertical with little footholds and the swamp. I'm sure you've realized how annoying the swamp is." Peter grinned.

You would've found it a bit funny if your shoes weren't caked in the thick mud.

"Also the west of the island is home to a giant crocodile. He makes a funny ticking noise as he moves, like he's swallowed an alarm clock. Captain Hook hates him."

"A ticking crocodile? How come you've never told us about that?" Blue Jay questioned.

"You never asked."

"How would we have known to ask about a crocodile that ticks as it moves?" As Blue Jay and Peter started talking between themselves you herded Hawk in front of you. Whatever was watching you would need to think twice if it expected to catch you off guard.

You were ready and waiting.