Chapter 21

Author's Note

Howdy! This is a fun chapter, so enjoy!

                                                                                                                                  - Adelle

Editors note

Dream is back! Yay!

                                                                                                                                 ~ Valery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dream had slipped into a dissociative state. He'd stare up into the endless void before him as he laid chained to the ground to prevent him from killing himself. At first, he had been overwrought with grief and anguish. Now he just felt empty. Shattered had killed anyone who was a threat, so Dream wasn't interrupted by any pain. Shattered had forgotten about him.

So, he lay there. Destined to be left alone with only his thoughts for the rest of eternity. He'd occasionally glance towards the glass screen to see into what was now Shattered's world. So far, he hadn't seen anything of interest. Just Shattered giving orders to the Nightmare Papyruses. Until recently. He glanced to the screen, then took a double take.

Y/n.

The reason why he had made the deal with Shattered. His sick reasoning for all he had done. He had let his selfish desires for her overtake him. Except, those desires were gone. When he brushed away the reminders of all he had done, he only saw her as a dear friend. The feelings he had previously bottled for her were now gone. But how? They were so overpowering. They couldn't have just vanished.

Dream looked to the screen again and was shocked and horrified to see Y/n crying! For the first time in what seemed like an eternity, he felt something other than guilt or despair. He needed to help her. He needed to do something. Dream then noticed something else. Y/n wasn't just crying. She was crying to Shattered.

Dream lay in astonishment for a few moments. Why? Why was this happening? Why was she crying? Why was she crying to him? Dream began to watch with absolute dedication. He had to know what was wrong. Maybe, just maybe he could help. Maybe he could help Y/n. Maybe help the children. Save them even. If he could just do something, anything to right this horrible, abominable wrong of his.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You felt so tired. It wasn't even the end of the day, but you had been through so much and had no time to really process all that had happened. After crying a little to Nightmare, you felt relieved and calmed, but still tired. You don't know when you fell asleep. You remember Nightmare holding you close as you cried to him about all that had happened. He held you with such love and tenderness. He caressed your hair and whispered sweet promises of happiness to you. You fell asleep sometime then you supposed.

You awoke to a gentle and familiar voice. "Y/n? Y/n, you fell asleep, the kiddos want to play with you."