Chapter 8: I Want To Be A Knight

"I don't want to go."

I was currently in my bedroom with Lily by my side. It was around 10 AM now, and I still felt like shit after what happened earlier. I haven't told Lily though. I don't know what her reaction will be once she finds out the damage I cost last night.

"His Majesty specifically requested a personal tea time with you, Princess." Lily said in a gentle tone.

I looked at her. "I don't want to see him. I hate him."

Lily looked surprised at my statement. Why was she surprised? Did she expect me to love that man?  "Now, don't be like that. His Majesty just wants to spend time with you." she put a hand on my wrist and smiled. "He's beginning to act like a real father, you know?"

Father? Him? What a joke. That's the last thing I expect him to act like. After what he did, I won't look at him ever the same. "He's not, Lily. He doesn't care about me."

I don't even know why he got the nerve to invite me for tea after I slapped him. If he were Claude in the novel, he would've killed me by now. But for some reason, I'm still alive. Maybe he'll poison me later?

"What makes you say that, hm? I heard he took care of you last night. You even slept in his room."

I rolled my eyes. "That's not it. He hurt me, Lily. I can't look at him the same," I paused and sighed. "Did I mention that I slapped him real hard?" There was no point in lying to her. Lily would eventually know anyway.

She turned to me with a red face. "What? You—" she put a hand on her mouth and started laughing. Why was she laughing? "You slapped the Emperor and got away with it?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Yeah. So what? He deserves it," at that, Lilly just laughed more and I couldn't be even more surprised. Isn't she supposed to get mad at me for slapping him? Isn't she going to scold me like a mother?

"What's so funny?" I asked, a pout on my face.

Lily giggled and composed herself. "It's nothing. The usual father-daughter bonding, am I right?"

I facepalmed. Does she not get it? "No. I doubt that he'll see me as his daughter anytime soon.." I trailed off and Lily just patted my back. "And I don't feel safe around him, to be honest."

I never really planned on Claude to see me as his daughter. I want him to see me as his successor; his heir to the throne. I want to be someone worthy to be called a princess, and not someone who's known to. be the "spoiled" princess. I hate that.

"Really? Then, will you go if Nicolai accompanies you? He'll be your knight," Lily suggested.

Nicolai? Accompany me? I thought about it for a moment. I mean, I get that Claude requested for tea, but I bet Felix will be there too. And if I bring along Nicolai, then I can have someone to guard me. Plus, I'll have Felix guarding me too. I'll be safer.

But am I really willing to take that risk after what happened with Claude?

What if he tries to do it again? What if he casts a spell on me that makes me have no choice but to follow? Just by the thought alone made me shiver. But.. then again, I also have my mana with me. I can defend myself.

"Princess? You seem to be lost in thought,"

I shook my head. "Uh.. " I needed to give Lily an answer. And Claude, too. If I don't go, chances are he'll do something worse. What if he kills everyone in the Ruby Palace? What if he sends me to exile and never acknowledge me as his heir? Tons of thoughts flooded to my mind.

Gosh. I guess I need to go, huh?

"As long as Nicolai's with me, I guess I'll go."

————————