Chapter 16: Was It Always Fated For Us To Meet?

"Summon the best doctors in the Empire!" Felix ordered to the servants, who frantically complied to the man.

It was around 6 PM; the first day of the hunt ended already. Each team found their way to their camps, along with their hunts. Tomorrow, they'll announce the teams who passed the elimination round. The venue, luckily, was huge enough for every participant. To the point that their camps were separated.

This also meant that everyone else couldn't see the uproar in the Emperor's camp. It was secluded in the corner of the venue, giving it enough space to occupy its own land. The tent itself was huge; no one could've guessed it was bigger inside. The tent had a main room and two bedrooms. It was extravagantly designed, too.

But, on the inside of the tent, Athanasia was found kneeling down beside her father.

"Dad..." she shook his shoulders lightly, trying to awaken the man.

She didn't know what to feel. Was she supposed to feel mad? Worried? Glad? Her head was a mess. This was something she wasn't expecting; something she was sure as hell that she wanted to avoid. Did something like this happen in the novel? She asked herself.

No, she answered. I've changed the story too much. Things were now going its own way and she didn't have a clue on where it was leading her. She was honestly so lost; why was this happening? Did she do something bad?

Athanasia was still beside Claude, her hands trying to get at least a pulse. There was a pulse, but it was so weak that she didn't even recongnise it first hand. He can't die, Athanasia thought, not yet. She found herself intertwining her hands with his. His hands were as cold as ice.

Was he sick earlier? He sure looked fine during the opening ceremony. So, what was the problem? Surely, no one could get pass Felix guarding him. Yet, again, Felix didn't even realize Claude passed out.

"Princess," a voice said. "The doctors are here."

She turned around, seeing who it was. It was Nicolai.

As if on time, three doctors went inside the room. They wore a thick white suit, much giving them a look of a priest. They wore protective gear— gloves, masks, and a bunch of others. Then, a few nurses followed. They brought in a couple of bags, assuming that it had their equipment or so.

Athanasia gulped. Will they be enough? She looked at them one last time, her hands tightening around Claude's.

Nicolai noticed the worried look on her tired eyes. It's been a long day, and the poor girl found her father passed out on the floor— hands cold as ice. Not to mention that she just made her first appearance as a princess. This day must've took a toll on her, he thought.

He went beside the princess and knelt. "Let's leave His Majesty to their care."

Athanasia didn't even meet his eyes. "No."

"Princess.." he put a hand on her shoulder. He could hear her troubled breathing from this distance. "You're shaking."

The doctors stood there, watching the knight comfort the trembling princess. It was their first time seeing her. Despite her current state, she still held a strong aura that made them stand straight. Her voice held diction among them, and they couldn't help but respect.

Athanasia slightly pushed away with Nicolai's touch. She could feel her whole body sweat in nervousness. Why was she even nervous? Her face was hot; as if she was being suffocated. But, she somehow managed to answer the man.

"Don't touch me!" she hissed. Her face was a mess. Her hair was sprawled all over her face; the strands sticking out.

Nicolai sighed. He knew how Athanasia was in situations like these and usually, Lily was the one who handled her. But Lily wasn't here.