Chapter 23: Let The Odds Be On Your Favor

(( this meme tho lmfaooo felix istg )) ANYWAY!! on to the chapter

Deers symbolize the powers in nature that are not easily subdued. They represent instinctual energy and independence. A figure of authority, you might say. They held a high regard in the food chain.

By high regard, we meant they were both predators and preys.

They're herbivores; they eat plants and the like. So, it was no surprise if you'd find them hurdling among themselves in a herd of grass.

As of now, we can assume that most of the time, deers are considered prey because of their lifestyle.

And you know who loves to take down their prey?

Wolves.

Wolves—a symbol of guardianship, ritual, loyalty, and spirit. They rely solely on their instincts. They have their own freedom and much intelligence than that of deers. They are free to do what they want— carefree as ever.

So, it is no surprise that they are often the predators in the food chain.

They were carnivorous. You'd often find them eating primary consumers such as elk, bison, beavers, rabbits, etc. They were strong— dominant, if you say.

Now, if I were to ask.

Who would win in a brawl between a deer and a wolf?

Go on. Think.

Because apparently, that question itself is the basis of the Hunt. This is how the chosen panel will judge each hunt and give them their placement.

"If we do compare Sir Nicolai's hunt to Sir Ijekiel's, then..." a man, from the panel, trailed off. "It is safe to say that Sir Ijekiel has won, right?"

"Have you seen the size of this deer? It's huge."

Another man pointed to the deer, neatly sprawled to the ground. It was around 3 meters in length— which was quite unusual for such a deer in the forest.

"It can even be considered as a moose!" one man beamed.

They took a long look at the deer. Its antlers were longer than any other. And, it was true. Moose and deers are, in fact, part of the same family. So, saying that this deer was as big as a moose was accurate.

"But the wolf Sir Ijekiel has is also terrific," the man gestured to the said animal. "It's a red wolf. The rarest of its kind."

The judges talked among themselves, a bit conflicted as to who they'd declare the winner. There were debates, rebuttals, and the like. In short, everything was a mess.

"Now, gentlemen.." a calming voice started. It made everyone stop talking. They turned to the young man, who had a smirk on his face. They were all silent.

The young man, also known as Lucas, gave them a sly smile. "Tell me," he turned to them. "Who will win in a brawl between a deer and a wolf?"

Why was this kid even here? One wanted to ask. But he didn't. The Emperor himself let the kid in their group. And no one dared to question the Emperor's orders.

"See, that is quite hard to answer." some man said. "Deers, who have their own strategy and intelligence, can quickly run away from wolves. But, in close combat..."

"The wolf has the upper hand, does it not?" one of them asked.

"Yes, considering its speed and agility. " the man from earlier explained.