Chapter 36: A Dance In The Skies

"Your Majesty, if you may please spare a moment----"

Claude turned to Nicolai with his piercing cold glare. "What have I told you about interrupting Athanasia's night?"

Nicolai bit his lip. If Claude ordered him to do something, he had no choice but to comply, regardless if the Emperor saw him as family. Still, there was a damn good reason why he practically ran here to the party.

"But this is an urgent matter!"

"Nothing else is more important than my daughter's debutante, Nicolai." he said sternly. "This night is for Athanasia only. Everything else comes second."

Yeah? Nicolai thought to himself. Even your brother resurrecting from the dead? He wanted to say. Instead, he didn't. He took a deep breath, trying to compose himself. "I understand, but-"

Claude sighed tiredly. He didn't want to argue with Nicolai. The young man was like his family. "Whatever it is, it can wait until tomorrow at least."

Most times, Nicolai saw Claude as an older brother. Along with Felix too. Having grown up with the Emperor, he saw his soft side, even at a young age. That's why Nicolai grew to love him dearly, despite Claude's flaws.

Apparently, one of those flaws was being a hard headed brat who didn't take no as an answer, regardless of the situation. An example of such a situation was this one. No matter how much Nicolai would even beg Claude to listen, he wouldn't.

And, as much as he wanted to dance with Athanasia, he couldn't. Nicolai needed to get back to his assigned station. The rookie was probably dozing off. "Fine, but you need to listen to what I have to say tomorrow, Claude."

Claude absently nodded, not really caring if Nicolai addressed him by his first name. His eyes were glued to Athanasia, who was dancing happily with Ijekiel. It bothered him a lot, just seeing his daughter being with that Alpheus kid.

"Of course," he reassured. "You are dismissed."

Nicolai rolled his eyes. He was pissed at Claude... just a bit. But he quickly shook off the thought.

He had better things to do anyway. And, if Claude wasn't going to believe what he said, then he'd investigate the matter himself. Nicolai just really wanted answers, and he'd do anything to get them. Even if it'll cost him his life.

He just prayed that no harm would be done to Athanasia or anyone for this night, at least.

---------------

Lucas led Athanasia to the balcony. The balcony looked perfect. It's view was the Royal Garden, one which Claude loved. From the top of the balcony, you could see the moonlight glistening. It looked like the balcony was the perfect spot for lovers. Despite that, no one else was on the balcony.

Except for Lucas and Athanasia, that is.

The night was early, around 8 PM or so. It wasn't quite cold outside, yet the wind itself gave Athanasia shivers. Her dress didn't exactly cover up her arms, nor was it equipped with advanced technology that could give her warmth. It was safe to say that she was cold.

The young wizard noticed this. His eyes flinched lightly upon seeing Athanasia's discomfort. Lucas hasn't seen her for days, since he was too busy thinking of a gift. Seeing her right now was a blessing itself, and he figured that he'd take care of her.

"Here," he said, taking off his coat. "Wear this. I can't have you shivering cold once we arrive at our destination."

Athanasia took a step back. "What do you mean destination?" she asked, her voice showing hesitation. Lucas just ignored her and brought his coat to her shoulders. It didn't fit her small figure, since it was a bit too big but she looked adorable.