Chapter 20: I'm Her Savior, Duh

Third day of Hunting Season, aka the last day.

Everyone was filled with excitement as the most favored event of the year would come to an end. Men, who were eliminated from the previous days, shared their free time chatting and the like. Ladies, who gladly accepted the men's hunts, bragged among themselves.

Almost all hunters were here.

Except for the finalists, of course.

It was pretty obvious as to what team advanced in the first day. It was none other than the so-called Golden Trio. Rumors say that the Princess herself hunted the bear, others saying that the Emperor helped her, or the bear wasn't real at all.

But, of course, those rumors came to a halt when the Felix Robane cancelled them all. He proclaimed that their team won fair and square.

Because of that, they advanced to the final round.

And, coincidentally, they were the last team standing.

That only meant one thing.

The team, who was once united as one, were now going to fight for the title 'Best Hunter'. They were now dispersed in different locations in the woods, and hunting for the best of the best.

Everyone were making bets. Who was going to win? Who'll claim victory? What'll be the best hunt? The men, who were nobles, placed huge sums of money on each member.

"I bet that Sir Nicolai will again win this year! It is his comeback, after all."

A man placed a few gold coins on the table. They gathered around, with their fancy drinks at hand.

A few nodded, agreeing with what was said. There were some, who were still thinking as to who they'd bet on.

"I say, Princess Athanasia!" one man placed more gold coins on the table.

Almost everyone cheered, and agreed. They knew well enough that a 13 year old like her was different. The aura she had just literally speaks power, as if she held it with her own hand. Her eyes, who shared the same as the Emperor's, literally gave them chills.

The Princess had an unspeakable power among them that they couldn't even explain.

They then started talking about the Princess, and how she never fails to surprise them. They expected her to not even last an hour in the hunt. But, here she was, among the top three contestants. She even had a shot at winning this thing.

Slowly enough, their conversation was disrupted when a certain someone arrived.

He cleared his throat, causing everyone in the table to face his way.

"I bet to none other than..." he placed a huge sum of money, "my son. He will win this Hunting Season. I just know it."

It was Duke Alpheus.

He was confident in his tone. It was as if no one could convince him otherwise.

They were silent. The Duke was known to be a cold, self-centered man. No one really knew him well enough to spread rumors, but they didn't know him well enough if he'd be good either.

He was in that gray area, wherein no one would mess with him.

"He will make Jennette as the Lady of the Hunt."

That's the last thing he said before leaving the men.

—————

"Where is Athanasia?"

It was Claude who asked.

Felix simply smiled.

"You asked her to bring you a head of a moose, did you not?"

It was about their little deal before. About Athanasia wanting to prove herself to Claude.