Chapter 13: Athanasia's First Appearance to the Public

Hunting Season— a famous event wherein the richest of the rich in Obelia gathered. It lasted for 3 days, mainly the last day for the declaration for the Lady of the Hunt. The Lady of the Hunt is the one who has received the biggest and best hunt from the man who offered it to her. It's been tradition ever since the Great Empress Victoria first invented it and participated in it herself.

The Emperor arranged the event, along with a few other trusted members of the Council. This year, they have decided to have the event at famous Black Forest. It is home to plenty of myths and legends, but despite the name, it is actually the safest forest in the Empire. It is filled with only light magic, which somewhat contradicts its name.

Black Forest was named the way it is because of it is known for darkest shade of the trees, and it is said that each and every leaf contains mana. Its vast landscape would be more than enough for the hunters. Speaking of hunters, this year, 50 have signed up. Men and women alike gather for this event, mostly to showcase the men's talent in hunting. However, women didn't dare to hunt.

Why, you may ask?

The first and only woman to hunt was the Great Empress Victoria. No one really knew how she died, but it is said that it was unruly. So, as years pass, people came out with stories. How did the Empress die? And, one rumor appeared, saying she died in the hunting season. No one knew if it was fake or not, but it was enough for women to back out during Hunting Season.

That is, until Princess Athanasia came to mind.

Athanasia was more than determined this Hunting Season. She knew that this was her only chance in proving herself to her father and to the whole Empire. She knew well enough about the rumors which surrounded women and hunting, and she thought it was bullshit. A mere rumor can't stop her in pursuing this dream of hers.

It'd be considered informal for even a 13 year old girl to hunt, since it was before her debutante. The girl might receive backlash, since she hasn't yet to debut in the high society properly. But, it was in the guardian's decision, really. And, Athanasia's so-called guardian was Claude. He was more than happy for Athanasia to join the hunt, he even offered it to her himself.

You'd think that Claude would play favorites this Hunting Season because his beloved daughter were to join, but no. She was on her own. The most that Claude could do was the location. He made sure to pick the safest place for his daughter, making sure that no harm can come her way.

But of course, there were still rules to be followed.

There were the usual rules, but some were added accordingly.

First, each and every hunter should offer their hunt to one and one person only. A 1:1 ratio, you could say. But of course, you could still go to the Hunting Season as an audience. Second, no one below 12 years old can join. The last thing that they wanted was a kid dying in the arms of beasts.

Third, and last, no one can use magic during the hunt. Years ago, the use of potions and spells from well known wizards were proven for cheating. It was now strictly forbidden. Before you could enter the hunting grounds, there was a tough level of security and inspection.

Athanasia was fine with the rules. All except 1. And it was the usage of magic. Don't get her wrong; she won't cheat using magic. But, she needed to hide herself from her true identity. She didn't want people to know who she was before her debutante.

"You don't need to hide your identity," Claude would reassure. "If they even try to badmouth you, I will kill them all."

"Weren't you opposed to the idea of my existence being known to the public?" She would answer back.