Chapter 3: A Duel Between The Princess and Her Knight

"Sir Nicolai, we would deeply appreciate it if you exit the room during our lessons," My tutor, Vivienne, said. We were currently in the middle of a lesson about Geometry, and she was starting to get pissed as to how Nicolai kept hanging around my study room as Vivienne taught me. I just smiled to myself; they were always like this.

Ever since Nicolai started teaching me 5 years ago, I have grown closer to him. I admit, I did have a crush on him before (of course, that was my old self speaking, not Athy) but now? I saw him as an older brother that always guided me. Heck, he even taught me proper etiquette ever since my 12th Birthday. I was sure as hell surprised when I found out that a guy was teaching me ethics, but he was the definition of grace and poise.

In short, Nicolai had everything my dream man could ever have.

Anyway, I stopped working on Vivienne's worksheet and turned around. "Yeah, Nico. I can spar with you later, bro." I reminded him. We were so comfortable with each other to the point that we started calling each other 'bro' and the like. Meanwhile, Nicolai just laughed at my statement.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, princess." He leaned back on the wall, his arms crossed. "I won't intrude, I promise. Now, let me stay.. pretty please?" He added a cute little pout. I sighed, it was hard to believe that this guy was 11 years older than me. He looked like a teenager, not some adult. I then turned to Vivienne, who was obviously throwing death glares at the guy.

"I s-suppose it won't be bad, right Vivienne?" I smiled a bit, trying to lighten up the mood. Vivienne looked pissed. Her and Nicolai weren't always on the best terms, but they got along pretty nice. Except for moments like these. They acted like rivals, and I honestly don't know why.

"Yeah, Vivienne. Come on, sweetheart~" he said in a teasing tone. I laughed, and looked at Vivienne once again. She was silent, but a sly smirk crept up to her face. "Don't sweetheart me, pretty boy. I defeated you in all our duels." Wait what? Vivienne knows how to use a sword?

She faced me, nodding her head. It's as if she read my thoughts. "Yes, Princess. I used to train as a knight, but due to personal reasons, I decided to pursue teaching instead," she explained. Damn, what can Vivienne not do? She's the second coolest woman I know next to Lily.

"I was going easy on you!" He defensed, approaching us with a huff. "Don't believe her, princess. She can't yield a sword, unlike you." Nicolai then placed his gloved hands on my ears, as if to defend me from Vivienne's words. But I could still hear her.

"You're lucky I backed out, Nicolai. I'd be in your position right now if I didn't quit."

Nicolai rolled his eyes. "Whatever. I don't get why Athy still needs to study though," he then got his hands out of my ears. "Isn't she like a prodigy? I heard she could read the sacred language."

Vivienne simply nodded. "Yes, that is true. And to add the fact that she excels in all the subjects I've taught her," she looked at me with proud eyes. "Her skills aren't for a normal 12 year old. It seems fit that you can be a scholar, princess."

I giggled lightly. Everything was a piece of cake, though. Everything Vivienne told me I already learned from my past life. And in my past life, I was kind of a smart ass. I worked my ass off to get perfect A's and always be the first, because of family pressure. Maybe that's why I still study hard right now. I wanted to become Empress, after all.

"I don't want to be a scholar though." I confessed, sighing lightly. "I want to be an Empress who can yield a sword and do magic. I want to rule over Obelia and make reforms,"

I saw a light smile on Vivienne's face when I said that. I knew she was proud; she always wanted a me to become a leader who prioritises service first. "I know, princess. And you will be. Being a prodigy at such a young age? You are truly a blessing upon the Empire."