Chapter 29: Empress Victoria de Alger Obelia

"Ijekiel, son, this is...." Roger cleared his throat, trying to make the atmosphere less awkward.

The three of them were gathered in a lounge, wherein they had afternoon tea. The Duke decided that it'd be right to introduce Anastacius to Ijekiel, rather than hiding him. It'd be too suspicious if he did.

He took one last look at Anastacius, who looked around boredly. He sighed, might as well introduce him honestly, right?

"A close friend of mine." he gestured to Anastacius, who stood right beside him. Anastasius flinched at the way Roger put emphasis on "friend". Was he trying to expose him?

Ijekiel eyed the guest curiously. His father rarely lets guests in their house, since they didn't want Jennette to be exposed to the public. And, if they had visitors, it would be someone Ijekiel knew, not some stranger.

But it was strange.

It felt like he already saw the man before, back when he was young. His face looked strangely familiar. It was as if he talked to Ijekiel before, back when he was a child. He just.. Couldn't remember clearly enough.

Anastasius put on a fake smile. "A pleasure to meet you, Ijekiel," he offered out a hand to shake.

The teen nodded slowly, accepting the hand. "Same goes to you, Sir...?" he trailed off, his eyes never leaving the older man's. He was a bit suspicious, to be honest.

Roger faked a cough, nudging Anastasius secretly. They haven't discussed what was even going to be his fake identity and all that. They just chatted throughout the day, not thinking of the actual plan at all.

Before the atmosphere got awkward, Anastasius quickly snatched the spotlight and placed a hand on Ijekiel's shoulder. "The name's Sebastian Reginald, kiddo." he introduced. "There's no need to be so tense."

He jumped in surprise at the sudden gesture. This... Sebastian guy suddenly came to him like some old friend. Like he already met Ijekiel before.That even made his suspicions increase.

Was Ijekiel that obvious?

Sure, this guy was new and all but... the way he could read him like an open book was odd. How did his father become close with a man like him? Were they schoolmates or some sort?

"O-of course, Sir Reginald," he replied professionally.

He didn't want to come off as some weakling who only had his brains to depend on. He wanted to show him that he was strong, despite his young age.

Roger could feel the tension. How Ijekiel was probably suspecting something of Anastacius, despite the short time they've spent. He knew that his son would immediately do a background check on 'Sebastian Reginald'.

Sigh. Anastasius didn't really think this through, huh?

Anastius chuckled. "No need for formalities. Please, address me by Sebastian," he reassured the teen.

He then glanced at Roger and winked. "After all, I will be staying here for awhile. Right, Roger?"

Ijekiel's eyes quickly went to his father, as if he wanted to confirm the news. As far as he knew, no one else but close-relatives could stay at the manor. Heck, they rarely even opened their gates to relatives.

Literally, who the hell was this guy?

Roger gulped, feeling all their eyes on him alone. "Yes," he managed to reply seriously. "He will be staying here.... For a certain period of time."

Ijekiel raised an eyebrow. "Exactly how long is he staying here, Father?"

As soon as I leave this room, I'll do a background check on the Reginald Household. He thought to himself. Everything about this guy screamed red flags. And Ijekiel was eager to find the answers for their safety.