Chapter 22: A Glimpse of Her Past Life

TRIGGER WARNING: use of insults, verbal abuse, physical abuse

"Mom!"

I was four years old. I knew how to read, write, draw, and all those basic things. I was now a kid, a cute adorable one. I inherited my mom's beautiful physical appearance. From her hair, nose, eyes, to the little details in between. Meanwhile, I got my personality from my dad (or so they say)

"What is it, sweetie?"

My mom didn't bother looking up from her work.

I gripped the paper tightly. "I drew something!"

She was typing in the keyboard, her fingers quick as light. She was too invested on the screen in front of her to even notice.

"That's great. What is it?"

"Uhhhh...." I softly showed her the picture. "You draw very good, but I tried my best."

It was me, my mom, and my dad. We were in front of our house; our smiles full as ever. "That'll be us when I grow up."

"Hm?"

"Y-you know, the three of us. Together, forever!"

Mom stopped her work. "That's great. But in the future, it'll only be you, alright?"

My four year old self stopped. "W-what?" I felt like crying when she said that.

"Yes, sweetie." she soothed my hair. "You'll be the heiress of our company."

Mom pointed to the picture of her and dad, together.

I couldn't even understand the words heiress or legacy. What was she saying?

Tears were still present in my eyes. "B-but you'll leave me!"

"That's how it is." she said sadly. "I just want you to grow strong, okay? You'll understand when you grow up."

I didn't know what she meant. But, the four year old me just nodded. "O-okay."

———————

"Top 1, again?" My friend asked.

I shrugged. "It's not that big of a deal."

I was now 8 years old. I went to school in a private constitution for all-girls. It was known to be the alma mater of successful women. It also prided itself with its high-level of education; meaning the fewest of the few could only enter.

Either you were smart or rich.

Luckily, I was both.

"It is!" my friend beamed. "My parents would literally throw a gala if I even made it to top 5."

"They'd go that far?"

"Yeah!" she nodded. "Why? What about yours?"

I was silent. "Nothing. It's nothing."

I went home that day a bit sad. My parents weren't home, of course. They're barely home. I'm left with a huge mansion and some maids, who don't even care about me. They just wanted money.

"When will mother and father come back?"

A maid sighed. "I'm afraid they won't be back until Christmas, Young Miss."

"Very well."

———————

12 years old. Middle school. Puberty. All that jazz.

I didn't pay that any mind, though. I kept my grades up, and managed to get into sports.

"Congratulations. You're qualified to the international team of volleyball!"