Chapter 40: Goodbye, For Now

Ah yes. The most dreadful day has arrived.Our favorite young wizard, Lucas, leaving the palace and everyone else. Knowing Lucas and his antics, I would've thought that he'd up a trick up his sleeve. At the back of our minds, we'd think that he wouldn't leave; that he'd actually stay for Athanasia.

Though I hate to admit it, but... Lucas doesn't have anything up his sleeve. He is simply leaving the Palace. That's all there is to it.

I know, I know, it's a shame, really. But we need him to leave for the plot progression. Did I already tell you that we're down to 10-12(?) chapters left? I already have? Oh, my bad. Anyway, I'm guessing you, dear reader, is having some kind of breakdown over Lucas leaving. Don't worry, me too.

In relation to breakdowns, we have a certain Princess bawling her eyes out. Of course, it is none other than Athanasia herself. She already did cry her heart out, but now she was quite alright and back to her normal state. The Princess stood tall in front of the Royal gates, wherein she'd officially bid farewell to Lucas.

Lucas really didn't want some type of farewell party. He was fine with zapping out of the Palace with no one knowing. Athanasia had other plans though. She wanted to formally say goodbye to him. It just felt like the right thing to do. Besides, it would add a bit more of a dramatic effect, right?

"Right, uh," Lucas put a hand behind his neck, grasping it awkwardly. "How does this work? Do I just... leave?" He wasn't quite sure as to how Athanasia would do the whole 'official farewell.' She was the only one in the front gate, with a few guards lined up.

Athanasia wore a simple yet elegant suit which was custom-made for her alone. Her hair was tied in a high ponytail and she wore a pair of knightly boots. For the past few weeks, she's been training as a Knight. It hasn't been the easiest, but she needed to do her best. Being a Knight was another plus point in gaining title as Crown Princess and taking the throne.

"You're not yet leaving," she answered back. "I have something to give to you."

Lucas raised an eyebrow, looking over at Athanasia curiously. What was she even going to give him? He was the one always giving gifts to Athanasia, not the other way around. He'd always give her a new pair of swords, books, or even a set of knives. That's what she requested. There were also rare times wherein he' give her dresses too.

Athanasia went to the pocket of her suit. Carefully, she brought out a handmade pair of earrings. The earrings had the same shade of blue as her eyes. It also held a few stones surrounding it. The accessory was relatively small, but enough to be recognized at a glance. Despite being so simple, it also looked special. Special and yet so delicate.

She then held her hands open to Lucas. Her hands held the said earrings. Lucas, to his amazement, slowly touched the earrings. He observed each and every intricate detail it had.

"It's beautiful..." he murmured to himself, not quite aware of his sudden comment.

Athanasia smiled upon seeing Lucas getting amused by the simple accessory. "I made it myself, actually."

"You did?"

She nodded confidently. "I made it for you."

Lucas stopped his actions, eyeing Athanasia strangely. Throughout his whole stay at the Palace, never has he ever seen Athanasia taking interest in earrings. Or let alone make them. She was just... she didn't look quite the type. At least for Lucas, that is.

Athanasia was always investing her time in swordsmanship and studying. How was she even able to make these? Heck, it looked marvelous. Lucas never expected her design to turn out like this.