Chapter 37: A Dream, From Me To You

Claude has been fairly occupied throughout the whole night. Everyone in the guest list came by to greet him as he stood proud and tall. He wasn't even trying to get himself into a conversation, but people seem to approach him no matter what. They offered tons of gifts for Athanasia, which were decent. But Claude still thought that their gifts were nowhere near his.

To his surprise, Felix went by beside him. Turns out, the man has been double-checking the Palace Barriers for an hour or two, hence his late arrival. Claude was just relieved that he arrived because Felix was always the one initiating conversation with others. Claude would usually nod and say nothing at all.

All in all, the night was going by smoothly. No signs of danger or threat. The people were enjoying the event itself. It made Claude in a fairly good mood, but if anyone even dared piss him off, he'd throw a rage. Lucky for them, none seem to put Claude to his anger.

Still, despite having a fair time, Claude felt... empty. Sure, people from all over the Empire came in looking for him and seeking his attention but there was a certain someone that lingered on his mind. They've been in Claude's mind for hours now.

And Claude was just impatient. He wanted to see Athanasia again. Or at least catch a glimpse of her. He didn't know why but... he had a feeling that there was something off. Call him overprotective but his fatherly instincts told him that Athanasia wasn't around his radar. Like she was somewhere else, but he just couldn't put his mind to it.

"Where is Athanasia, Felix?"

Felix gave Claude a reassuring smile. "I saw her an hour or two ago with the Young Wizard," he replied calmly. "They went to the balcony, I think. But I doubt that they are still there."

Claude could feel his blood boil. Lucas, the wizard boy, has done countless contributions for the Palace. That was no need to be questioned. But throughout his stay, Lucas has been close with Athanasia. Too close, that is. It even came to the point where Claude himself caught both of them heading out of the Palace to go to Town.

"What?"

So far, Felix didn't really worry around Lucas anymore. The young wizard has proven himself significant in the Empire. Lucas already had Felix' respect. Besides, Felix himself was vouching for Lucas too. But still, Athanasia and him needed to take things slow; something appropriate for their age. Those were Felix' thoughts about them.

He placed his right hand in defeat. "I do swear, Your Majesty, the Princess is safe. I have checked each and every corner of the Palace---"

Claude's aura instantly changed, affecting everyone near him. They could feel the atmosphere getting tighter to breathe in. The tension was so damn suffocating, even for Felix.

"That wizard will regret taking her away from me."

-----------

"Princess!" I heard a familiar voice call out. It was Felix. "Where have you been? It's been two hours."

I instantly took a step back from Lucas. My heart was beating fast, not because of Lucas almost kissing me, but by the fact that we almost got caught. I gulped upon seeing Claude, along with Felix, entering the balcony.

Claude looked mad. But not mad mad, like "I'll kill everyone" mad. But the "I'm an overprotective father" type of mad. He still looked fresh as ever, as if the party just started. Felix did too. They didn't even look like they were tired of entertaining guests.

I then turned around, sneaking in a quick glance at Lucas. However, I was greeted with no one. Lucas was gone. He vanished, or maybe he jumped off? I dunno. But it looked like he had an escape route, which was good. Great, even.