Chapter 39: Where Was Ijekiel Alpheus During The Debutante?

".... Oh."

Athanasia didn't really know what to say or how to even react. Lucas was leaving. Leaving. Literally. She wasn't going to whine like a baby of some sort; nor was she going to be all I'm a spoiled brat, don't leave me. No, she was going to accept it. She was an adult, mentally. She's been through a lot. People come and go.

But Lucas... she didn't really want him to go.

"I'll... I'll be gone for awhile," he explained, pulling away from Athanasia. The Princess didn't even bother maintaining eye contact with him. Lucas just prayed that she'd be fine without him. Or rather, he'd be fine without her. "I know it's sudden but..."

The mood shifted to a comfortable silence. Lucas didn't continue his statement. Athanasia looked at him reassuringly, holding his hands with hers. "It's fine, really." she replied. "Who am I to stop you from pursuing your dreams, Lucas?"

That unexpectedly hurt Lucas. Who was she to stop him? Athanasia was the one he genuinely liked. He had feelings for her. An immortal being, having feelings for a mortal? Quite possible, but rare. And this... this was a rare case, even for him. Catching feelings wasn't part of the plan.

"Dream?" he repeated, quite unsure if he heard that right. Who told her that he was leaving because he wanted to?

She nodded slowly. "You know.. the World Tree, restoring your magic, and becoming the Greatest Wizard of all time."

Lucas always talked about the World Tree and its wonders. Athanasia, being originally from a world without magic, didn't quite understand at first. Though, after a few explanations from Lucas, she was already with its concept. If Lucas were to obtain the tree's fruit, he could get back to his original, most powerful form.

Meanwhile, Lucas bit his lip.

All this time, Athanasia thought that he was leaving because of himself. Because he wanted to restore his full power and potential. That was his intention from the very start. But for the past few months, things have changed. Lucas wasn't sure but... he really didn't care about the World Tree anymore. He still held a respectable amount of magic compared to an average wizard. He still was powerful.

Instead of wanting to obtain his full potential, he wanted one thing. One thing that was so different, yet so simple. All he wanted was to protect Athanasia. And that's exactly what's he going to do.

"It isn't really for the World Tree, you know?"

Athanasia raised an eyebrow. If not for the World Tree, then what? Was he going to voyage across the seas, in search of something? Someone? Perhaps he was going to go on an adventure? Some sort of solo arc for Lucas, wherein he is the protagonist of his story? Athanasia didn't know, or didn't really even remember if this happened in the novel but...

"Then, why are you leaving?"

Lucas gulped. "Let's say that I've got a deal with the Devil," he tried to explain. He failed. Athanasia's face instantly went to panic mode.

"You've got a what?"

What was Lucas even saying? Did he have a deal with a demon? Because last time Athanasia checked, this wasn't Black Butler. This was the world of the Lovely Princess, not some anime.

He shook his head lightly, placing a hand on Athanasia's shoulder. "No, scratch that," he sighed. "I've got unfinished business with the Devil, if you know what I mean."

"That's even worse!"

Before Athanasia could even protest, he put a hand on her mouth. She pulled away quickly, releasing from Lucas' grip. "You think you can stop me?" she said. "Lucas, what are you even saying? You--- you're leaving, but for what? And who are you even talking about? The Devil? You're being so--"