𝗕𝗹𝘂𝗲

Author: strvngerrose

Summary: Robin thinks Vickie looks good in blue, but she doesn’t notice that you’re wearing blue too.

CW: angst, unrequited love, mentions of alcohol

-----------------

The door clicked shut as you and Robin tucked yourselves away in her bedroom. You had just returned from one of Steve’s parties and were considerably tipsy, still warm from the alcohol in your system. Robin insisted that you come to the party, even bribing you with a sleepover afterward, though you’re pretty sure that the only reason she wanted to have a sleepover was so she could gush about her crush, who she ditched you for at the party. 

“Did you see Vickie tonight?” Robin mused dreamily as she flopped backward onto her bed, “She looked so pretty in blue. I think that it really brought out her eyes.”

You looked down at your own dress, the same color as Vickie’s, but Robin didn’t seem to notice. She never seemed to notice you, not in the way that you wanted her to, anyway. There was always someone else, it was Tammy Thompson for a while, but now it was Vickie and this crush was even more unbearable than the last one, as it consumed Robin even more. You always listened to her talk about her crushes, and as much as it made your heart sink, you’ve gotten pretty good at it. She was especially talkative with some alcohol in her system, and her topic of conversation was usually Vickie.

She didn’t wait on you to respond before continuing, “She invited me to a party that she and a few other band kids are throwing next weekend,” she sits up and takes both of your hands in hers, “You should come with me. You know, as my wing woman,” She giggled, swinging your joined hands back and forth.

You scoff lightly and shake your head. You weren’t invited and you were sure that Vickie wouldn’t be thrilled if you showed up based on the looks that were thrown your way before she stole Robin away from your group at parties and the daggers she shot you in the hallway as you walked to class with Robin at your side.

“I wasn’t the one that was invited, silly,” You manage a half-hearted smile and break away from her hands to gather your PJs from your overnight bag. “She is totally into you, Rob,” You felt your heart clench at your own words, “You don’t need a wing woman.”

She crossed the room and stood beside you as you shuffled through your bag, “Come on, y/n. Everyone at Hawkins High knows that we’re a package deal,” She laughed lightly, “I think even the administrators are too afraid to put us in different classes. If I’m invited, you’re invited.”

You found your blue pajama shorts and the oversized t-shirt that you packed to sleep in and looked at your best friend, who was standing beside you beaming and practically buzzing with excitement. You sighed, knowing that you’d rather put yourself through pain than ruin Robin’s happiness.

*****

The next Saturday, you, Robin, and Steve pulled up to Vickie’s house. Robin had been rambling anxiously about all that could go wrong and asking how she looked every five minutes. You were more nervous than Robin if that were even possible. This would be the first party that you and Robin attended without Steve and if Robin ditched you (as you anticipated she would), this time, you’d be left truly alone.

“Have fun, ladies,” Steve waved as you and Robin exited the car “Call me when you’re ready to go home. I don’t want you walking home or getting in the car with anyone at this party.”

Robin giggled, “Okay, sure mom.”

You stuck your head back in the car window, looking at Steve pleadingly, “Are you sure you can’t come in? Even for a little while.”

He looked at you apologetically, knowingly, and shook his head, “I shouldn’t. I have to work early tomorrow.”

You nodded solemnly before giving him a weak smile and a small wave and joining Robin to walk into the house in front of you. As soon as you walked through the door, you were met with the sight of bodies on bodies, flashing lights, and the smell of alcohol. Robin leads you to the kitchen to fix you a drink and not a minute later, Vickie emerges from the crowd with a solo cup in hand. She looks right past you to Robin and steps between you, taking Robin by the hand and leading her to the living room.

“Hey, uh I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere!” The blonde told you before she is tugged away by Vickie, leaving a half-mixed cocktail on the counter.

 You remained in the kitchen for at least an hour, indulging in spiked punch and cocktails as you waited on Robin to return. Another hour later, you stumbled out to the living room, just in time to see Robin and Vickie climb the stairs, their lips connected, and enter what you assumed to be Vickie’s bedroom. You ran back to the kitchen as you fought tears and dialed Steve’s number on the phone that hung on the kitchen wall.

“I’m ready to go home now,” You choked out when Steve answered the phone.

You were then faced with the reality that you were doomed to love Robin from afar.