failed valentines attempt

author: fleshbarbie

contains: robin & reader in an established relationship, angst with happy ending!

summary: excited to spend your first valentine's day with your girlfriend robin, you can't help but feel hurt when you find out she's ditching you for a certain someone.

word count: 3.7k

-----------

waking up on the morning of february 14th 1986, you couldn't fight off the overwhelming feelings of both excitement and nervousness when you remembered what day it was, and the plans you had made for them. you were finally in a relationship on the one day that being in one was celebrated, you no longer had to wander down aisles at the store that were overly decorated in the colour pink, with heart shaped boxes of candy and teddy bears stocked in full on the shelves, wishing you not only had someone to buy you them, but to be able to actually buy them for someone else. that day had finally come.

you had been dating robin for almost four months now, after silently pining after her for longer than you could remember. you were certain you had fallen head over heels the second you met her, the way her gorgeous blue eyes connected with yours and her perfect, plump lips curved up into a welcoming smile as your boss introduced you to her as the newest employee at scoops ahoy. that day had felt like years ago now, though realistically it had been barely two. you bonded straight away, getting to know each other as you endured your first shift at the ice cream parlour with her alone. you had expected it to be quiet, maybe even awkward as the clock ticked by slowly but to your surprise, and delight, robin spoke with you as if she'd known you her whole life. the two of you spoke about anything and everything: her favourite movies, the weather, the 'dingus' known as steve that would be working tomorrow who, according to robin, would definitely attempt to flirt with you, what she dreamt about last night, the list went on. before you knew it, six hours had flown by and you were leaving with only one thought in mind ... robin buckley.

and now here the two of you were, in an official relationship and yet again working together in a whole new store with the boy who had become a great friend to both of you, spending summer trapped in a secret russian lair under the mall had a way of bonding people. steve was actually the one who brought the two of you together, sick of spending every shift listening to both of you talk about how much you liked the other, he actually couldn't believe that neither of you had picked up on the fact that the feelings you held for each other were mutual. he had never seen two people more in love. so one day, he took it upon himself to trick robin into talking about you which wasn't hard, as soon as you were out of earshot she was soon rambling on about how cute you looked in the uniform, 'how come she can pull off everything? like, how is that actually possible?' she had scoffed, and whilst she was distracted with the thought of you, with a mischievous smirk steve had caught your attention and gestured for you to come over, acting as if he needed help with something but as you approached, your heart wildly pounded in your chest as you caught the midst of robin's ramblings.

"i mean, even at scoops steve! she even managed to pull off that stupid sailor uniform we had to wear, and not even you, steve 'the hair' harrington made that outfit look good! you know? (y/n), she's just so naturally beautiful and she doesn't even try. it's unfair how she makes me feel so nervous and giggly like a little kid, without even realising it- wait, are you even listening? what are you staring at?"

she followed his line of sight, her mouth falling agape and her eyes widening at the sight of you stood only a few feet away from her, clearly having heard every stupid word that had just come out of her stupid mouth. shit.

"i'll leave you two to talk." steve broke the tense silence, now smug with pride at how his plan had worked and you had walked straight into his robin shaped trap. if she wasn't so terrified about what was going to happen next, she would've given him a quick punch to the shoulder, she was making a mental note to not forget to do it later.