T W E N T Y T W O

Marla felt such uneasiness the entire feast

Marla felt such uneasiness the entire feast. Nothing specific happened to make her particularly feel that way, either. It was like the room felt cold and the people felt distant. She grabbed onto Robb's hand underneath the table and squeezed it tight. She was anxious. She looked up and her king's eyes met her own, "I love you, Robb Stark. And I love our baby that grows inside of me," she said.

"I love you so much more. I would do anything and everything to protect the both of you," he replied. And it's true—he would.

Their enchanting stare was cut short by Walder Frey's gravelly voice, "The septon has said his prayers, some words were said, and Lord Edmure has wrapped my daughter in a cloak," he began. "But they are not yet man and wife...a sword needs a sheath. And a wedding needs a bedding!"

Gross, Marla thought, that's the last thing I'd want to hear Walder Frey say.

However, the crowd cheered at the mention of Edmure and Roslin consummating their marriage.

"What does my sire say?" Walder asked Robb, who smiled cheekily. "If you think the time is right Lord Walder, then by all means, let us bed them," he replied. 

The guests went wild, cheering and chanting "To bed! To bed! To bed!" as they carried the newlyweds out of the great hall. Robb chuckled and Marla shook her head, I am so glad this did not happen at my wedding, she thought.

"Careful now, ladies. Once you set that monster free there's no caging him again," Edmure warned through laughter.

"Poor girl," Lady Catelyn said pitifully. "Every bride suffers the same," Roose Bolton replied., "I'm sure you endured yours with grace."

"Oh, Ned forbade it," she clarified. "He said it wouldn't be right if he broke a man's jaw on our wedding night."

Lord Bolton chuckled dryly at the comment.

"It is a very strange custom if you think about it," Marla said to Robb after eavesdropping on Lady Stark's conversation. "I suppose it is, but without it there's no real proof of the bride and groom consummating their marriage," he pointed out. Marla shrugged, "I mean, there's other ways to prove the marriage was consummated," she looked down at her belly and back up at Robb suggestively. He smiled and kissed his wife on her forehead, "You're right, my love."

"I already know what I want to name the baby," she held her belly and her eyes met Robb's. "Oh, do you? I don't get a say in the matter?" He teased.

"Well, don't you want to teach little Ned Stark how to ride horses?" She said softly.

"Oh, my love. I want nothing more," Robb gushed, pushing a few strands of Marla's hair back behind her ears. "How do you know it's a boy?"

"I just know," she admitted.

The sound of the large double doors of the hall shutting snapped Marla out of her trance. That's odd, she thought. The lively music of the band had stopped playing, and the tune of the Rains of Castamere began instead. Marla felt her insides churning. "Robb, something's not right," she said in a hushed voice.

"What do you mean?" He questioned, not understanding what his wife quite meant.

"They're playing the Rains of Castamere, that's a Lannister song," she hissed, her voice now trembling. "A Lannister song," she repeated herself. Her hands were shaking badly as she was reminded of the soldiers belting out the tune during her captivity with them while she travelled to Kings Landing. "Robb we need to leave, now."

The music stopped abruptly, followed by Walder Frey's voice calling out, "Your Grace," he began. Robb focused his eyes up at the old sack of meat they call Lord Frey, "I feel I've been remissin in my duties. I've given you meat and wine and music, but I haven't shown you the hospitality you deserve."

Marla looked over at Catelyn, who was pulling up Roose Bolton's sleeve, revealing armor. This whole wedding was a planned treason, a set up—they had walked right into the lion's trap.

"Robb!" Catelyn wailed. As soon as the words left her lips, it was too late. Arrows began to pierce Robb's body from all different directions.

"No!" Marla screeched out. She began to run toward him, but was pulled back by Frey men and pinned down in her chair. Their grip on her was so tight she could barely breathe, let alone move an inch.

Then, the sounds of screams, yells, and knives slicing bodies rang out as Stark men were slaughtered by the Freys all throughout the room. Marla was writhing and pulling and flailing her body in any way she could to get closer to her husband, who was still being pierced with the arrows of enemies. "Stop resisting," a Frey spat in her ear, "nothing you do will save him. Nothing."

"Robb!" Marla called out. She then refocused her gaze on Lord Frey. "Please, kill me, do whatever you want but just leave him be!" she begged. He ignored her.

Robb's body was so weakened, he was on the floor, struggling to stand. But he mustered up all the strength he had and pushed his body up, and turned his head toward Marla who was sobbing hysterically. 

"The King in the North arises," Walder said, followed by a wave of laughter from the traitors.

"Lord Walder!" Catelyn called out, causing the chuckles to hault as all eyes fell on her. She had a knife held to the throat of Lord Frey's young wife. "Lord Walder enough! Let it end. Please. He is my son, my first son," she pleaded.

"Let him go and I swear that we will forget this. I swear it by the old gods and new. We will take no vengeance," Marla added, staring down at her husband who has now fallen to the floor once more, barely clinging to life.

"I was already sworn one oath right here in my castle. I was swore by all the gods Robb Stark would marry my daughter!" He groveled.

"Take me for a hostage, but let him go," Catelyn begged. "Robb get up, get up and walk out!" She refocused her gaze on her son. Marla was still crying. She couldn't breathe, she was gasping for air.

"Please Robb, stand up, please, my love," Marla choked out.

"And why would I let him do that?" Walder asked nonchalantly, as if this whole ordeal was a game to him.

"On my honor as a Tully, on my honor as a Stark, let him go or I will cut your wife's throat," Catelyn warned, digging the knife deeper into the girl's throat. Robb began to stand.

"I'll find another," Frey said flatly.

"Marla," Robb said softly, focusing his gaze on his wife.

Before Marla could say a word, Roose Bolton shoved a knife into Robb's gut. "The Lannisters send their regards."

"No!" Marla and Catelyn both called out.

Catelyn sliced open the throat of the young girl, and shortly after, a Frey did the same to her. She fell to the ground.

Marla threw up, the bile covering her dress. Her world went fuzzy, and she blacked out.