T H R E E

lady marla ashwood

MARLA KNEW LORD STARK WAS LEAVING FOR KING'S LANDING SOON

It was the sad truth she had to face—everyone was leaving right before her eyes. Bran had been in an accident—a very, very serious accident—and Lady Stark hadn't left his bedside. It was uncertain if he'd survive, but he defied the odds and made it through the first night, so that was a start. She sat upon her bed, her head dizzy with thoughts. Winterfell was truly falling apart, and it was the worst time for Lord Stark to be leaving.

Lord Stark was to be Hand, taking Arya and Sansa along with him to be ladies at court, and Jon was leaving for the Wall to become a sworn brother of the Night's Watch. Four of her closest confidantes—her family—were abandoning her. Ned Stark had raised Marla, she was the man she trusted most in this godsforsaken world, but King Robert waddled his way up North and demanded the Lord of Winterfell become Hand of the King. He stole away the only father she ever had, and now he was being dragged down to that absolute shit hole they call King's Landing.

Not to mention Jon—her best friend who was like a brother to her—was choosing to forsake any chance of marrying or fathering children just to sit atop some stupid Wall for years and years until he freezes to death. Marla thought the Night's Watch was an absurd concept and not something that someone as brave and valiant as Jon should be wasting his time on. However, she knew it had been the bastard's dream since he was a little boy. He had wanted to be just like his Uncle Benjen—to be a ranger who scoured the woods beyond the Wall, hunting wildlings and protecting the realm.

The two Stark girls were leaving as well, which would leave a mark on Marla's heart. Little Arya had always followed in Marla's footsteps; they both had tomboyish ways about them. In fact, Marla had been the one who taught Arya to shoot a bow. Though it was against the rules for girls to partake, Lord Stark never reprimanded them for it. He would smile and chuckle to himself anytime he caught the two in the courtyard practicing archery. Sansa on the other hand, was much more of a soft and delicate girl who never wanted to get her hands dirty. But Marla loved them both all the same.

A tap-tap on Marla's door interrupted her daydreams. "Come in," she beckoned. Lord Stark stepped inside wearing a sad smile.

"Hello, little lady," he said softly as he sat next to her on the mattress. The bed made a squeaking noise as he shifted his position.

"Hello, Lord Stark."

"I wanted to come and speak with you..." he began. His blue eyes were filled with sorrow as his gaze met her own.

"You're leaving soon, aren't you? For King's Landing?" She asked, trying to hide the disdain from her voice. She didn't want to be angry with him, after all it wasn't his choice, really.

"I am, Marla. But I've brought you something." He was still solemnly smiling as he pulled a dainty necklace with a oval-shaped pendant from a small, decorative box. "I meant to give it to you on your last nameday, but it wasn't ready yet. See—on the front, it's House Ashwood's sigil; the stallion. On the back, however, is the Stark direwolf. This way, you can remember both of your houses. Both of your families."

Marla gripped the necklace between her fingertips as the salty tears began to stream down her cheeks. She wrapped her arms around him and sobbed into his shoulder until there were no more tears left to cry.

"This is the most sentimental gift anyone has ever given me. Thank you," she croaked, her eyes red and puffy from crying. He kissed her forehead and stroked her hair in a fatherly manner, making her feel loved and comforted. She never wanted him to leave.

As he stood up to leave, it took everything in her not to scream "Don't go!"
She wanted oh so badly for him to forget the entire Hand situation and stay here where he belonged. The Lord of Winterfell belongs in Winterfell. Not in a humid, dreadful city thousands of miles away.

But the gods were cruel. The gods are gods because they have no mercy. And from this day on, they showed Marla no compassion.

"You know, Jon, once you take the Black, you're never allowed to

"You know, Jon, once you take the Black, you're never allowed to...you know...be with women."

"I know that, Marla. I'm aware of the vows that I must take," Jon Snow smiled in amusement. Marla had been advising against Jon's wishes since the moment he told her he hoped to join the Night's Watch. She was far too stubborn of a person to let him go without a fight.

"Why're you going? Why're you leaving me?" She asked, grabbing onto Jon's arm as he threw his saddle over his steed.

"It's not that I want to leave you—"

"Then don't! It's simple. Stay in Winterfell," she demanded, stomping her foot into the muddy earth.

"You know I can't stay. There's no place for me here—I'm a bastard," he sighed, rubbing his horse's nose as the large beast whinnied and tossed his head back.

"And I'm the only surviving member of an extinct house," she countered, once again grabbing onto Jon's arm. Everyone was leaving. Everyone. But not him. She wouldn't let him.

"That's different and you know it," he replied, narrowing his eyes at the obstinate girl.

Her eyes flickered up at his and down to the ground in disappointment. He huffed out, clouds of steam puffing into the cold air.
"You know I love you, Marla. You're like my sister. This isn't goodbye forever. It's goodbye for a little while."

She finally let go of his arm. She knew there wasn't anything she could do to make him stay—they were both too strong willed to change their minds.

He pulled her into a brotherly bearhug and squeezed her tight.
"I love you too, Jon Snow."
He kissed her cheek as tears welled up in her eyes.

Jon mounted his horse and started off towards the gates of Winterfell, glancing back at her as she sniffled and wiped her teary eyes. "Farewell, Snow," she mouthed to him, and his lips spread into a smile before he disappeared out of sight.

"Lady Marla!" A voice bellowed from behind her. It was Tyrion Lannister. He stood next to his horse as well, but the beast looked massive compared to his small frame. "You needn't worry, I'll take good care of the bastard for you."

"Lord Tyrion, you're joining the Night's Watch?"

"Gods no. Me? Forsaking women? I could never. I'm merely visiting the Wall. I've heard it's a magnificent view from the top," he replied heartily.

"I hope you enjoy your time there." She pressed her lips into a thin, forced smile. Although, she did find Lord Tyrion to be humorous. "Watch over Jon, he means a lot to me."

Tyrion bowed politely before the Ashwood girl. "I do hope we meet again someday, Lady Marla. In King's Landing, perhaps?"

"King's Landing isn't somewhere I ever plan to visit, but who knows what the future brings."

"Nonetheless, I hope our paths cross again."

________________________________

chapter three! ✔️
Hope you liked it! I know it's kind of short compared to the last chapter but it was just people saying their goodbyes. Alsooooo, we can just assume she said goodbye to Sansa and Arya as well bc I didn't want to add too many goodbyes because that's too much lol.
As always, pm or comment with questions or concerns!
Lots of love, xx