S I X T E E N

lady marla ashwood

"WE'RE NEARING HARRENHAL, MARLA," Ryder announced

"WE'RE NEARING HARRENHAL, MARLA," Ryder announced. He had traveled this way many times before and he easily recognized that they were close to the old castle.

"What does that have to do with anything?" She mumbled, taking a swig of creek water that she had filled her water skin with. At this point of their journey, every castle they passed looked the same...so what was so special about Harrenhal, anyway?

"Once we pass Harrenhal, we'll stop at the Crossroads Inn and rest. We've been riding nonstop this journey and I think we deserve a good long break."

She nodded slowly, imagining the Westerosi map in her head. The Crossroads Inn was very close to Riverrun if she was remembering correctly; only a little bit longer till she could see Robb's face. She wondered if he'd grown a beard or if he was cleanly shaven; if he had let his long curls grow out or if he kept them shorter. Either way he was handsome.

"Ryder," she called out, her voice weary from lack of sleep.

"Hm."

"I never properly thanked you for saving me. And I owe you an apology for my foul mood lately...I'm just worried for Sansa, is all."

Ryder's usual goofy grin appeared on his face. "No need to thank me, my lady, just doing my duty." Marla giggled.

Silence fell between the two again before Ryder broke it. "So, you really love that Stark boy, huh?"

She pressed her lips into a sad smile. "I do love him. I'm sorry, Ryder."

He shook his head. "We don't choose who we love. I didn't choose to love you, but yet here we are. I risked my life for you, but I suppose that's what we do for those we care for."

She chewed on the inside of her cheek nervously. How could she respond to that? She knew Ryder had feelings for her...but love? He hardly knew her.

"Ryder—" she began, but he threw his hand up to silence her.

"You don't need to say anything. I understand you don't feel the same way."