T W E L V E

lady marla ashwood

MARLA'S FOOTSTEPS WERE SPEEDING AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, DEAD-SET ON THE GREAT HALL WHERE NO DOUBT CERSEI ALREADY WAS, sitting on the Iron Throne

Her steps slowly became quieter and stealthier as she neared the throne room, until she was finally outside of it, her heart racing a million beats a minute. She peeked her head inside to find Cersei sitting on the throne as predicted, Tommen on her lap. She was telling him a children's story.

Can I do this? Kill Cersei in front of her child? Tommen is an innocent. A Lannister—but a blameless child at that. He has nothing to do with his mother's actions. Marla twisted her blade around in her hand, weighing the consequences of her choice. Would she go down as the Queenslayer if she did this? She'd be scorned for life if the people found out it was her.

The sound of men's boots storming down the halls broke her train of thought. She hid behind the door, waiting to see who it was. Stannis? The Lannister men? As the stomping sounds grew louder and closer she gripped her dagger tighter, taking steady but quiet breaths.

A group of armored soldiers waltzed inside the throne room, passing a hidden Marla. They all had their helms on, deeming them unrecognizable. She eyed their armor; the Tyrells. Why were they here? Were they fighting for the Lannisters or for Stannis? Either way, she felt relief wash over.

Marla peered inside as one of the men pulled his helm off, revealing locks of curly hair; Loras Tyrell, her cousin. It had to be. She hadn't seen him since she was seven, but she'd recognize his signature curls anywhere.

Shortly after, another man stormed in. Not just any man—Tywin Lannister. Blood stained his face and his wispy white hair was a mess. Donning the classic Lannister armor with a blood-red sash, she easily identified the Lord of Casterly Rock.

"The battle is over," he declared. "We have won!"

Marla let a deep breath escape her at his words. The city wasn't being sacked tonight. She wasn't dying tonight—hopefully.

Though, she felt a sense of uneasiness hit her; her own family—the Tyrells—were declared for House Lannister? Once Olenna Tyrell hears of the horrors Cersei and Joffrey put Marla through, she'll see to it that her granddaughter and Lady Sansa are returned to the Stark's. The way Marla was looking at it, if the Tyrells didn't save the day, Stannis Baratheon would be sitting on the Iron Throne right now. The king owed them a debt, and she would make sure that debt was fulfilled.

Still unnoticed by the soldiers, Marla scurried off down the hall to inform Sansa of the news.