T H I R T E E N

[ FLASHBACK ]
lady marla ashwood
age 7
location: icemont, birthplace of marla

[ FLASHBACK ] lady marla ashwoodage 7 location: icemont, birthplace of marla

MARLA GRIPPED HER MOTHER'S HAND, tears falling down her reddened cheeks. Her mother—Lady Atley—kissed her daughter's forehead softly, wiping away the stray tears that streamed down her face.

"Listen, my love. We don't have much longer together. I love you so, so much, Marla," Atley whispered, her face growing paler by the second. Her illness hit months ago, but over the weeks it's been worsening. Today was the day, though—the day she was going to die. Lady Atley accepted her death, and hoped her daughter would understand. A child so young shouldn't grow up without parents, but the gods took who they wanted.

"I'm going to see your father soon. He's with the gods right now, and I will be, too. I don't want to leave you, but I don't have a choice. You'll be going to live with Lord Stark. Do you remember him?"

Marla sniffled, nodding slowly. "Yes, mother."

"Good. He'll take care of you. We will meet again someday, my sweet girl." Lady Atley's voice was crackly and weak, barely a whisper. Her hands went limp as her eyes shut slowly. A final breath escaped her lips.

The maester touched Marla's shoulder softly. "My lady, we must take your mother. You need to go to your chambers."

Marla wrapped her arms around her lifeless mother, sobbing so hard she couldn't catch her breath. She hated the gods. Why did they take her away? Why? Why my mother?

She recalled a pair of hands picking her up and carrying her away to her bedchambers. She cried into her pillow for hours on end until nothing was left. She was only seven years old and she felt empty, useless.

________________________________

The next few weeks were a blur; all she remembered of them was her sulking in her chambers while the funeral was being planned by her grandmother—Olenna Tyrell. The Queen of Thorns wished for her granddaughter to live with her in Highgarden, but it was Atley's dying wish for Marla to remain in the North. After all, she was born a Northern girl.

Atley Ashwood was buried in the godswood of Icemont. Her final resting place was beneath the largest weirwood tree they could find, a small grave marker beside it. It read, Lady Atley Ashwood née Tyrell, "the Golden Rose"—beautiful daughter, loving mother, and dutiful wife.

________________________________

Days later, Lord Stark travelled to Icemont to pick up Marla and bring her to her new home.

The whole ride to Winterfell, Marla was silent. She spoke not a word the two day journey out of fear for her new home. She'd only met Eddard Stark once, and he was kind, but she wanted her mother. She wanted to stay where she thought she belonged—in Icemont.

Although, when she arrived in the Warden of the North's home of Winterfell, she felt an overwhelming sense of comfort. Maybe it was the way that Catelyn Stark hugged her tight and said, "Welcome home, my dear." Or that Lord and Lady Stark allowed Marla to sleep in their bed the first night so she wasn't alone. Or how Robb Stark brought her a steaming cup of milk tea the next morning. But she knew after her first night in Winterfell that she was at her new home.

It took Marla a year to truly feel at home in Winterfell. She had it better off than Jon Snow—her best friend—who was a bastard, and treated differently than the rest of the Stark children.

"But Lord Stark is your father...why do they treat you differently?" Marla had asked the boy a few weeks after she'd arrived in Winterfell. She noticed Jon didn't eat supper at the same table as Robb, Sansa, and Arya. She also noticed how anytime Jon walked into a room, Lady Catelyn turned her nose up at him with disgust.

"I'm a bastard, Marla. Lady Stark isn't my mother." The dark haired boy had replied, to which Marla gave him a confused look. She didn't understand. Jon was so kind, he didn't deserve this.

It took her a long time to understand the concept of a bastard. At least Jon had a father, though. Unlike Marla.

Robb Stark had always been quiet around Marla, ever since the day she set foot in his home. He looked at her and saw the most beautiful creature he'd ever laid eyes on. He only a boy of seven, but he knew—he knew she was the girl he wanted to marry. He was scared to talk to her, mostly because she seemed so  intimidating.

Marla Ashwood spent most days holed up in Winterfell's library, or out riding her mare in the godswood. Or being taught lessons by Maester Luwin in his chambers; she loved learning about Westerosi history. Robb never could find a right time to strike up a conversation with her.

Once, when they were both only thirteen, Marla had just gotten back from a long ride with her horse Aspen. Robb waited up for her in the stables to speak with her. It was the day he decided to tell her how he truly felt. They were both still young and immature then; Marla had just gotten her first blood and Robb was going through typical bodily changes.

"Lady Marla," he had said, his voice shaky with nerves. "I have something I want to tell you."

"Of course, Robb." She had replied cheerfully, an ever-present smile gracing her pink lips. Robb paused, admiring her beauty while working up the courage. He swallowed down a lump forming in his throat.

"I think you're very pretty, and um—"

"Could this wait for another time, actually? I have stitching classes with Septa Mordane and she's already scolded me the past two days for being late," she said hurriedly, unsaddling Aspen. It was as if she hadn't even listened to what he had said.

He didn't blame her, of course. It wasn't her fault she didn't know how Robb truly felt about her. But after that day, the eldest Stark boy lost all hope to tell her his feelings. He kept them inside for ten years, only mentioning it to Jon and Theon a few times. But things eventually worked out in his favor.

Marla's relationship with Lord and Lady Stark had always been good. Better than good—great, actually. Lady Stark treated Marla like a daughter and loved her very much as well, for it was hard to not love a girl you've raised since childhood. But Lord Stark and Marla had an unbreakable bond; the two cared for each other deeply. Ned Stark saw his sister—Lyanna—when he looked into Marla's eyes. Lyanna Stark had so much soul, just like Marla Ashwood.

Marla would always have the Starks of Winterfell in her heart. She was an Ashwood by blood, but a Stark by choice.

________________________________

Chapter thirteen ✔️
Oof a throwback. Wow I haven't done that before and it was kinda all over the place???? But it's alright. Also, if you forget who Lady Atley is, its obv Marla's mother lmao but just go to my introduction and look at my cast!!!! (Natalie Portman is Atley Ashwood)
Also, Atley was originally Atley Tyrell until she married Braddock Ashwood (Marla's father). Atley and Braddock are my OC's, and I've already mentioned them but I'm just clarifying :)