T E N

lady marla ashwood

TROUBLE WAS BREWING IN THE SEVEN KINGDOMS, and as if things weren't bad enough already, Stannis Baratheon was planning an attack on King's Landing

TROUBLE WAS BREWING IN THE SEVEN KINGDOMS, and as if things weren't bad enough already, Stannis Baratheon was planning an attack on King's Landing. It was known he had a fleet far larger than the royal armada, and their army outnumbers the Lannisters forces as well.

Tyrion and Bronn were busily preparing the city's defenses while Marla gave them her honest opinion on their plans. Although she wanted more than anything for the Lannister legacy to deteriorate, a siege was most definitely not something she wished to witness. When soldiers sacked a city, the women are raped repeatedly, the children and elderly were killed. Your status—noble or commoner—doesn't matter to them.

It had been rumored that Stannis Baratheon had given up the faith of the Seven and converted to some fanatical group that served the 'Lord of Light.' Apparently, a red priestess from Asshai across the Narrow Sea was whispering rubbish in his ears. Whatever helps him sleep at night, Marla thought.

She just hoped Joffrey was killed in battle. That's if and only if the coward decides to fight alongside his men. Knowing him, he'd probably just stay tucked in his warm and cozy bed all night until the battle was over. Marla wasn't certain that the Lannister forces would prevail—it was a toss up, truthfully. However, Lord Tyrion had a trick up his sleeve. One that only a handful of people knew about; Pyromancer's Piss, Wildfire. It was a flammable green liquid that—when ignited—spreads like wildfire, hence its name. The Mad King was obsessed with it and burned those he deemed against him, including Marla's father.

During her time in King's Landing, Marla grew especially fond of the dwarf. She knew she could trust him, and his heart was in the right place. His loyalties laid with people of the city, not with his wretched family, which earned her respect. She just hoped that his plan worked, for if it didn't, thousands upon thousands of innocents would be killed. Possibly even Marla herself.

Marla's footsteps clicked down the marble hall as she set off on pursuit of Tyrion. She's never put more dedication into anything, but ensuring her and Lady Sansa's survival during this battle was her number one priority.

"Lady Marla," a calming voice purred. She recognized the soothing tone as the one that belonged to Lord Varys. He wasn't as deceiving as she had heard Littlefinger was, but he was a known self-server.

"Lord Varys," she smiled politely and gave a quick nod of her head instead of a formal curtesy. Although everyone called him lord, that title wasn't necessarily earned. He was the Master of Whispers, but he wasn't highborn.

"I don't believe I've had the pleasure of speaking with you since your arrival here in King's Landing, though I've heard much about the last surviving member of House Ashwood."

"Have you? What do they say that about me? Do enlighten me," she pursed her lips.

"They say you're witty and beautiful. And might I say, the latter is most definitely true," he charmed.

"You flatter me, Lord Varys."

"Although, my lady, you're also known to be quite reckless as well. Believe me when I tell you that I have your best interest in mind. Please heed my advice and be careful, for there are many in this city that aren't as concerned for your well being as I am." The words slipped off his tongue so easily, as if he said this to someone new everyday. Ending on that note, the spider bowed once more, rounding the corner and disappearing out of sight.

"I see you been acquainted with Lord Varys," says Tyrion as he joins Marla in walking down the hall, headed for his chambers.

"Does he talk like that all the time?" She scowled, feeling uneasy at the encounter with the eunuch.

"Pretty much, yes. He's not all that awful, but if I were you, I wouldn't tell him your deepest secrets. Once he finds them out, he just waits for the time he can use them against you."

"I wasn't planning on telling him any of my secrets, Lord Tyrion," she stared matter-of-factly as the dwarf pushed open the door to his chambers.

"My lion," a voice lulled seductively, causing both Tyrion and Marla to jerk their heads the voice's the direction.

To Marla's surprise, Sansa's handmaiden was strung out across the bed, half naked while sipping a goblet of wine. Why in Seven Hells is she in here?

The handmaiden's eyes went wide as Marla stepped into sight. She threw the goblet against the wall, causing the reddish purple liquid to splatter. She stormed up to Tyrion, her eyes filling with anger.

"Are you fucking her now?" The foreign girl demanded, pointing at Marla.

"What? No! Lord Tyrion and I are strictly—" Marla began defensively, but the girl cut her off.

"You lied to me! She's the reason you don't want me staying in King's Landing, huh?" the dark haired girl slapped Tyrion across the face, resulting in him stumbling backwards.

"Shae, Lady Marla and I are not involved in any relationship," he said, touching his hand to his throbbing cheek.

The girl—Shae—glared at Tyrion and Marla before stomping out of the room, practically fuming.

Once the girl was out of sight and the sound of her footsteps faded away, Marla scoffed. "So, you've...you've been having sexual relations with Sansa's handmaiden?"

"She's not just Sansa's handmaiden. In fact—she's never been around nobles until now...unless she was fucking them," he replied vaguely. A puzzled look fell over Marla's face.

"She's a whore, you mean?"

"Yes. And I love her. I love a whore," he sighed, falling down onto his bed exhaustedly.

"It's not safe for her here in the Red Keep. Your sister could use her against you," Marla pointed out, sitting next to Tyrion and grasping his cheek with her hand.

"I know."

"She got you good, didn't she?" Marla mumbled while examining the risen pink mark forming on his cheek. Small red streaks were originating as well as a result of Shae's nails digging into his skin. "It's not too bad, though. Should be gone before the next moon."

"I'm not worried about the scratch marks. I'm worried about Shae. As much of a pain in the ass as she is, I don't wish for any harm to come her way. Especially at the hands of my sister," he groaned as Marla dabbed at his bleeding skin with the sleeve of her gown.

"Trust me, I know what it feels like to worry about the one you love."

________________________________

Chapter tennnnnn !!!! ✔️