N I N E T E E N

lady marla ashwood

ONCE MARLA KNEW SHE WAS OFFICIALLY WITH CHILD, Maester Vyman urged her to tell Robb. When she told him she wasn't sure if she wished to keep the child, he seemed disappointed, but told her of her options. If she really didn't want to have the child, she could drink moon tea. But she wasn't sure she had it in her to condemn her baby to death. Considering she passed out when she learned of her pregnancy, she knew it'd be a difficult decision to make.

"Queen Marla, you must make the decision soon," Vyman told Marla, much to her displeasure.

"I will. Just please keep this information to yourself. I will find a way to break the news to everyone."

She went through the motions the next few days, trying to ignore the huge problem slowly creeping up on her. Her handmaiden was constantly throwing questions at her, making it hard to keep up with the lies that were now consuming her life.

Not to mention, Robb's suspicions were increasing each and every day. Marla no longer laid with him at night; as soon as she got into bed she seemed to tease him with a kiss before falling asleep. He loved her no matter what, but he was awfully dumbfounded on why Marla was suddenly opposed to sex.

Day after day her anxiety levels were rising, and she finally couldn't take it anymore. She needed to tell someone—anyone who would listen. It was difficult not having a friend to confide in. Robb was who she trusted most, but she couldn't tell him yet. Which left only one candidate; Catelyn Stark.

Gods, she wish she had Sansa here right now to talk to. Or Tyrion, truthfully. He always knew what to do. She missed that little lord dearly.

________________________________

Marla tapped on Catelyn's chambers door, her heart rate spiking. She released a shaky, ragged breath before the door creaked open, revealing the auburn-haired Tully woman. She was already in her nightgown with her long locks of wavy red hair spilling over her shoulders.

"Marla? What're you doing here at this hour?" She asked, stepping aside to let the younger girl inside her room.

"L-Lady Catelyn, there is something you must know," Marla stumbled over her words anxiously.

Catelyn nodded, grabbing ahold of Marla's hands which were noticeably shaking. "What is it, my dear?"

Marla glanced down at her stomach and back up at Cat's icy blue eyes. "I'm with child," she admitted.

Lady Catelyn's heart nearly stopped beating at the words that fell from Marla's mouth. "When...when did you find out?" The older woman muttered. She was going to be a grandmother.

"A few weeks ago. I was so overwhelmed with shock and...I—I didn't wish to tell anyone. When the maester confirmed my pregnancy I wasn't sure how to tell Robb."

"You don't wish to keep the child?" Catelyn held in a gasp.

"I think I do...but I don't know if I'm ready to be a mother. I've had to grow up so fast. When I was taken captive by the Lannisters, I was still only a child myself. And everything else I've endured...it's been so much. I don't know if I can take this on," she said, tears pricking her eyes.

Catelyn's eyes grew softer. She understood Marla's point of view. When she was that age, she was scared beyond belief of marrying a Stark and moving to the North, let alone having children. But as soon as she looked into her newborn Robb's eyes, she knew everything was going to be alright.

"You have Robb who loves you dearly. You have me who loves you dearly. You no longer have to worry about the Lannisters. From now on, all you have to worry about is protecting this child. Your baby will be the light of your life," Catelyn consoled, pulling the Ashwood girl into a tight and comforting hug.