F O U R T E E N

lady marla ashwood

MARLA HAD ASKED TO MEET WITH MARGAERY

MARLA HAD ASKED TO MEET WITH MARGAERY. Her cousin deserved to know what she was getting herself into, even if there were to be consequences.

She tapped on Margaery's chamber door, fiddling with her necklace dangling around her neck. Why was she so nervous to speak with family? Lady Margaery seemed kind enough, but then again she was clearly putting on a facade for Joffrey.

The door swung open as a smiling Margaery stood before her; she was wearing quite the revealing robe and her hair was damp and frizzy. "Marla!" She chirped, pulling her distant cousin into tight hug. "I barely recognized you. When I found out the Lannisters had you here...I was shocked, to say the least."

Margaery led her cousin inside her chambers, which smelled like vanilla and various wildflowers. "Excuse my appearance," the Tyrell girl giggled. "I'm afraid I just got out of the bath and didn't have time to ready myself."

"It's quite alright, Lady Margaery," Marla smiled as she took a seat. "There are more important things than appearances."

"Well, now that I'm to be Joffrey's queen, I must look my best." The brunette sat at her vanity while her handmaiden ran a comb through her long tresses.

"Actually, that's just what I came to speak to you about. If we could have a word in private..." Marla trailed off, glancing over to the handmaiden.

"Of course! Kayra, you may take your leave." She ordered, shooing the girl out of the room.
"What is it that concerns you, Lady Marla?"

Marla breathed in sharply. Would Margaery believe her, or simply not care? "Well, I'm worried for your wellbeing, cousin. There are things about Joffrey Baratheon that you don't know. Defining factors. He's not as he seems."

Margaery quirked a brow. "What sort of defining factors?"

"Well, to start off, he executed Lord Stark after having promised to show mercy. He's beaten Lady Sansa countless times. He's even had his Kingsguard beat me, as well. He's awful, Margaery, truly awful. I'm afraid you've made a huge mistake in your betrothal to him," the dark haired girl spoke with confidence.

"Oh..." Margaery muttered, seemingly disappointed. Marla felt bad for her—she did, truly, but it's better to deliver the news now than have Margaery find out on their wedding night when Joffrey beats her senseless.

"I'm sorry you had to hear it this way."

Lady Margaery chuckled while pouring two goblets of wine for the both of them. "Either way, I will be queen. Our grandmother will take care of Joffrey, there's no point in worrying." She shrugged nonchalantly.