F I F T E E N

lady marla ashwood

MARLA HAD NEVER FELT SO GUILTY IN HER LIFE

MARLA HAD NEVER FELT SO GUILTY IN HER LIFE. She was practically condemning Sansa to a world of hate from Cersei and Joffrey. She tried not to cry because it made her look weak, and she's been looking far too weak lately. But she's not weak; she's strong, so why didn't she stay and protect Sansa instead of running off with Ryder?

"Try not to be too hard on yourself, okay?" Ryder suggested as he bit into an apple. He had noticed her worried facial expressions all morning and could only wonder what was going on in her head. "Once we meet this Robb fellow I'm sure he'll be glad to send his army south and save his sister."

"Sansa will never forgive me for abandoning her," Marla replied, kicking her horse's side so he would speed up into a canter.

Ryder increased his speed as well, trotting up next to her. "She will, once Robb Stark takes King's Landing." He countered.

She shook her head in displeasure.

They've been riding nonstop since they escaped the Red Keep two days ago. Her back and legs were beyond sore and aching, she was thirsty, and she wanted to be in Robb's arms more than anything.

She tried not to take her anger out on Ryder—after all, all he was trying to do was save her. But traveling down the Kingsroad didn't offer a very scenic tour, and it was very perilous as well. If anyone recognized them they were as good as dead. Luckily they hadn't passed many people on the road, but they still had a good long journey before they reached the Riverlands, which is where Robb is said to be. Lady Catelyn's father passed away, so her and Robb have taken a break from the never ending war to attend the funeral in Riverrun.

"So, what's this Robb character like anyway?" Ryder asked, lofting an eyebrow while biting into his apple again.

Marla smiled at the thought of her love. "He's very kind. And a good fighter, too. The Lannister men talked about how he always goes where the fighting is thickest during battles. Tales of his bravery were told even by the enemy."

Ryder began to snicker, but stopped when Marla stared daggers at him. "He's a good person, Ryder."

"You love him, eh?" Ryder asked, already suspecting the answer.

"Aye, I do." Marla confirmed, but she couldn't help but notice a flicker of disappointment in Ryder's eyes.

"Well, my lady, we better pick up the pace if we want to reach the Riverlands before the Lannister men beat us there."