Part 19 - Date (Part 1)

"So, where are we going first?" You ask, opening the door for Evelynn. "Park first, then lunch." You step out into the driveway, the morning sun slowly peaking up from horizon. Evelynn had made it very clear to everyone that this was her day with you, and she didn't want to waste any of it.

Evelynn's car roars to life as she turns the key. The beginning of POP/STARS plays through the radio, with Evelynn pulling out into the street. "What are we doing at the park?" You ask, never having actually been to one.

"Walking through it?" She looks at you with a quizzical glance. "Huh." Nature never really interested you. But, Evelynn did. And if she wanted to walk through a volcano, you'd join her.

A short ride later, the two of you step out of the car. Evelynn interlaces her unclawed fingers with yours, starting your walk. "You look nice, by the way." You mutter, kind of regretting it as soon as the words leave your mouth.

Evelynn gives you a sly grin. "I know." Birds chirp and flutter overhead as the two of you walk through the park. The mid-morning chill slowly warming as the sun rises. Around an hour into your walk, Evelynn tugs your arm. "Are you hungry?" You hear her stomach rumble as she asks you.

"No, but if you are, we can go get something." You say, wishing you'd wore something a little thicker. The cold always did get to you. "Let's go then." Evelynn mutters, cursing her weak stomach. 

After a short jaunt, the two of you approach the parking lot. A few more cars dot the small parking lot, one parked directly next to you and Evelynn's car. You open the driver side door for Evelynn, feeling a tug at the back of your leg.

"I like your ears, Mister." A small Vastayan girl says, pointing at her own. "O-oh. Thank you." A woman rushes up, grabbing her daughters hand. "Don't bother them, sweety. Sorry for her! We don't see very many Vastayan's around here."

You notice the woman's very pronounced wolf ears. "Don't worry about it." You assure her. "Your girlfriend is really pretty too." The little girl looks toward Evelynn, who devilishly smiles at you. "A-Alright! Well we have to go. Goodbye!" You jump into the passenger side, slamming the door. 

"Have a good time at the park!" Evelynn waves them off as she closes her own door. "So... boyfriend. Where are we eating?" She leans on your shoulder. You roll your eyes, flicking her forehead. "Wherever you want... Eve." You whisper, it still not sounding right to shorten someone's name.

"What was that, Darling?" She asks, starting the car. "I said 'Eve.' I still don't like nicknames." She hums. "Really? I like it when you use mine." Shrugging, you look out at the passing city. To think, just a few months ago you were fighting in an arena. A place. A purpose.

K/DA was great, but it wasn't you. You weren't a bodyguard. You were a fighter. Looking down at your hand, various callouses dot your knuckles. "Y/N?" A sultry voice breaks you from your thoughts. "Yes, Eve?"

You swear you see her shiver before regaining her composure. "What kind of music do you like?" She asks, absentmindedly changing the radio station. "I don't know. Akali showed me some of K/DA's music and it was pretty good."

"You're telling me you've never heard any music except ours?" You scratch your chin in thought. "There was like, one looping track at Sett's fighting pits. That's it." You say as Evelynn pulls into a breakfast drive-through. 

She orders the two of you breakfast, passing over the bag once she gets it. "Where're we going after this?" You ask through a mouthful of biscuit. "Home. You'll need to be ready at eight. We're going back out for dinner."

"Do I need to dress fancy?" Evelynn takes a bite of her own breakfast, pulling out of the parking lot. "Ahri is taking you to get something nice to wear." A short ride later, Evelynn parks at the mansion.

"Alright. I've got to go shopping myself. See you at eight." Evelynn says with a wink. You wave her off as she heads back out the gate. Stepping inside the front door, you see Ahri sitting on the couch lazily watching T.V. 

"Hey, Y/N." The fox Vastayan mumbles through the cushion. "Hi." You mutter, sitting beside Ahri. She flops her head into your lap with a sigh. "You okay, Ahri?" You ask, raising your hands away from her. She grabs at your wrist and places it on her ears.

You roll your eyes, scratching her ears. "Too much business, too early." She nuzzles further into your hand. "When is Eve picking you up?" Ahri asks, changing the channel. "Around eight. She said you'd help me find something nice to wear."

"Got that done this morning too. I bought you three suits to choose from." You look at her incredulously. "You shouldn't have spent that much money." She half-shrugs. "Wasn't that expensive."

"How much?" She turns over to face you. "It's not that important, Y/N." You narrow your eyes. "Look- I- Okay! It was like-" She mumbles a number under her breath. "What was that?" She sighs. "Seven thousand for all three."

"Ahri!" "Calm down! It's not that much to us." "It's a lot of money for me!" You quickly pick up your phone, hearing Ahri's ding shortly after. "Y/N. You don't have to repay me. It was a gift!"

You shake your head. "A gift is a card with twenty dollars in it. Not three suits that cost seven thousand." She sends the money back. "You earned that money, Y/N." You send it back. "So did you."

She rolls her eyes, smirking at you. "You know, you're annoyingly frugal." Ahri looks away for a moment. "Speaking of gifts, when's your birthday?" You sigh. "I don't remember. I just count it by the years."

Ahri's eyes light up. "Oh my god! You could share a birthday with me! Mine's next month!" You chuckle. "I don't want to steal your spotlight, Ahri." She pushes a finger to your lips. "Shhhh. You will have the perfect birthday."

Nice going, Y/N.

A/N:

Sorry about the slow update! Had an idea for another book and had to add it to my 40+ drafts. I think I have a problem. Love you guys!