Races and recovery

I woke up in the morning feeling surprisingly fresh after a night of drinking, I flipped over in my bed, reaching for my phone hoping there would be a text waiting for me.

*2 unread messages*

He never disappoints with a morning text

Charles
Good morning 🙂 x
Hope you made it home okay

Jen
Morning ☺️x
Still alive with fingers, toes and dignity still intact

Charles
Glad to hear it

Jen
Good luck today, I'll be cheering for you from my living room
Can't say the same for Emma, think she's got the hots for Verstappen

Charles
And you've got the hots for Leclerc 😏

Jen
You wish, a big head isn't a good look on you 😉

Charles
Okay, I've got to go do some last minute training
I'll text you after the race x

Jen
You've got this, talk later x

I jumped in the shower washing the smell of the club off of myself and out of my hair, feeling fresh and ready for our first day of uni tomorrow.
I switched off the shower, wrapping myself in a towel and making my way back to my room to find Emma laid in my bed.

"Comfy?"
"Why is your bed so much better than mine?" She whined as I laughed at her

I quickly changed into sweats and a hoodie before drying and curling my hair to have an extra half hour in bed tomorrow morning.

"Breakfast?" I asked Emma who was still cuddled up in my duvet scrolling on her phone, my suggestion drawing her out into the world for today

I started cooking bacon and scrambled egg and set the table on the balcony as Emma took her shower and by the time she was finished the food was ready

"You really are a domestic goddess" Emma praised me, sitting at the table as I laid down the food

We ate our meal, gossiping about last night before hanging over the balcony watching the final preparations for the Monaco Grand Prix taking place below.
It wasn't long before the lead up to the race started and to my pleasure the Monégasque TV stations focused mostly on their homegrown talent. The drivers were all in their cars and set off on their formation lap, Charles taking his place in P1. I started to get extremely nervous, moving to sit at the edge of the couch as the commentator called lights out.
He got off to a good start edging Max out and getting a clear get away. There were a few battles further back in the group as Charles increased his lead from the rest. It was all going smoothly until the camera panned to Charles' car going incredibly slow and entering the pit lane. I rested my face in my hands so upset that the race hadn't gone his way through no fault of his own. We watched Max cross the line after issues with his car but clearly not as detrimental as Ferrari's. My heartbreak for Charles tying my stomach in knots as I thought about what I could possibly say to him to make this any better but my mind was drawn a blank. I planned to give him a few hours with his team before messaging him, worrying I would overstep my place since we'd only know each other a week.

I pottered about the apartment for the next couple of hours trying to make myself busy and stop checking my phone. My bag was packed with what I would need for tomorrow so I began tidying the mess I made last night and this morning getting ready.
I lifted my blazer off of the chair, taking my keys out of the pocket and placing them on my bedside table before hanging the jacket up in my wardrobe. As I turned back around I noticed a small piece of paper lying on the floor, bending down to pick it up and opening it.