Finals and Finding Out

Charles had been away for just over three weeks now and it was the practice day of the Brazilian Grand Prix and the day of Emma and I's flight back home.

My time had been hugely occupied by studying and organising how we would make it over to Abu Dhabi  after our meeting and exams.

Once we were all set, we locked up the apartment and made our usual journey to the train station and then to the airport. The flight was surprisingly quick and after collecting our luggage we met our parents at the arrival gates and went our separate ways home.

- -

Monday came and went rapidly after a weekend of study and Emma and I practically camped out at the library on Tuesday and Wednesday. We had the silly idea that the better we did in the exams, the more likely they were to let us continue and finish our degree in Monaco.

Thursday afternoon was a bittersweet feeling. We had finished our exams for the semester however the meeting tomorrow still hung over us like a dark cloud and weighed us down.

We decided to join our classmates for a few drinks after the exam was over as it was tradition and they were desperate to hear about our double lives in Monte Carlo. For once Em and I took it easy and headed back to my house after only two drinks, wanting to keep a clear head for tomorrow.

We were sat in my bed, watching a couple of Drive to Survive episodes with Jack desperate for cuddles from Emma as he hadn't seen her in so long.

"So go over the plan for tomorrow again so just it's fresh in my brain" Emma asked through a mouthful of popcorn
"So we have the meeting then straight to the airport, Glasgow to London then London to Abu Dhabi. It should get us there for Saturday afternoon" I replied, reading the itinerary off of my phone
"And you've got all the tickets?" She confirmed
"Yeah Max sent them over yesterday. I feel bad that he's paid for the flights"
"He's a two time world champion, he could pay for the whole bloody plane if he choose" Emma laughed
"True" I joined in with her laughter

- -

The next morning we woke early after a restless sleep thinking about the outcome of today's meeting and Jack kicking us both in his sleep. How do the smallest dogs take up the most space in the bed?

We both got ready and changed into our smart clothes that only get dragged out for oral exams and meetings. Our suitcases were packed in to my mum's car and she dropped us off outside the university.

"I'm just going to take a look around the shops so text me when you're out of the meeting and I'll come and pick you girls up" she told us
"Thank you" I replied hugging her
"I hope you get the outcome you want" she smiled teary eyed as she tucked a strand of hair behind my ear "as much as it'll pain me to not have you home, I just want you both to be happy"
"Aw don't get me started, when you cry, I cry" I laughed blinking back my tears
"Okay go" she laughed shaking her head and giving us both another quick hug before we headed inside

We let the secretary know we were here and took a seat outside of the Dean's office. I had to constantly wipe the palms of my hands on my trousers as my knee bounced up and down anxiously causing Emma to place her hand on it to stop

"Please stop" she laughed "you're distracting my zen"
"How are you so calm?" I asked in a whisper
"It is what it is" she shrugged "whatever will be, will be and we just deal with it as it comes"
"Words of wisdom from Emma Smith, that's a first" I laughed

Our heads then swivelled to the direction of the Dean's office door when we heard it click open

"Ah Miss Smith and Miss Walker, you're both here. Come in and we can do both of your meetings together" he smiled