✧ 𝕥 𝕨 𝕖 𝕟 𝕥 𝕪 - 𝕗 𝕠 𝕦 𝕣 ✧

𝕚 𝕔𝕒𝕟'𝕥 𝕗𝕚𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕚𝕤𝕥 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕔𝕣𝕖𝕕𝕚𝕥. 𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕖 𝕝𝕖𝕥 𝕞𝕖 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨 𝕚𝕗 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕚𝕤𝕥!
𝕤𝕞𝕦𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 !!!
✧✧✧✧✧

As you sat along the side of the long, extravagant dining room table your family used to host events, you guessed that Eren and Mikasa were having a much better Thanksgiving than you were. You picked at your food, deep in thought about how you were spending your holiday surrounded by pretentious assholes while Eren and Mikasa's families celebrated together since they were close family friends.

Your family spent the morning attending a charity event for Orvud's underprivileged. One thing you admired about your parents was that they used their fortune and platform to speak up and actively fight against injustices, and they didn't even do it for the clout or tax write off.

Not like Dimo Reeves, for example. He was a business man within your parent's social circle who donated and partook in several charity events, but he always made sure that reporters and journalists were there to let the public know so that he could save face. As soon as the media left, he would stop what he was doing and go home. It drove your family insane.

Yet these were the type of people you were sharing your Thanksgiving with.

You half listened to your parents banter with their close friends, adding to the conversation now and then to be polite. You looked forward to the little tradition you had with your mom and dad: to drink apple cider and spend the evening together just the three of you once everyone else finally left.

One by one families your parents hosted left for the night until the three of you were finally alone, formalities finally dropped. "Well, that went well. Don't you think?" your mom sighed, posture as straight as ever even when not in the presence of company.

"As well as it could have," you agreed, exhausted and kicking your uncomfortable shoes off. You were in your own damn house, why should you have to wear shoes?

"Shall we?" you dad asked, gesturing to the formal living area down the hallway. Two servants followed the three of you with the apple cider, glasses, and a bottle of expensive champagne that you spiked your juice with ever since you turned twenty-one.

You settled into a plush chair and accepted the full glass once they poured it for you. The fire already roared in the fireplace, the logs crackling and settling your nerves. You hadn't been properly alone with your parents in a long time, and you had some exciting news you were dying to share with them.

"So, Y/N, how is Shiganshina? We've really missed having you here," your dad began the conversation, sweet as he always was.

"Really, Y/N. You should try to call more often," added your mom.

"It's going really well. My professors are great, and volunteering has been really insightful. I've found a great group of friends that I'm comfortable with." Your mom shifted in her seat uncomfortably, as if she was biting her tongue. You chose to ignore your observation and instead hoped that you were just overthinking it.

"That's great to hear, honey. We're so happy for you," you dad smiled.

"Thank you. One of my professors has even worked with you before, mom. Does the name Hange Zoë ring a bell?"

After a brief moment of thought, her face lit up. "Yes! I do remember them. They worked in one of my research projects, the one with the bacterial cultures. They were a bit clumsy in the lab, but overall an extremely bright colleague with a lot of fire."