chapter⁹

the game

the game

🦋*.*〽〰*°.~°°〽.**•*〰**~°°°*〽*.〰**•*🦋

your pov

10:30 AM. AURADON, UNITED STATES OF AURADON

i walk out the door as carlos walks beside me. 

"do have any ideas for the date?" he asks as we both sit down on one of the blue tables scattered around the school.

"i was thinking maybe a picnic?" i say, closing my eyes, trying to plan it out in my head. "i could get us some snacks and we could just chill and get to know each other well,"

"that's perfect!" he smiles. "i have a cookie that i baked yesterday with mal, evie and jay. i've never baked before and i want you to try it," i smile at him, putting my hand over his. 

"of course, how knows you might be a baker in the future," i smile as he shakes his head and laughs.

i look over and see jay flirting with some of the auradonian girls.

"you're so weird sometimes," carlos says as jay looks back at him.

"the girls love me carlos," jay says. "you're just jealous,"

"jealous of what?" carlos asks, rolling his eyes. "you've used the same toothbrush since we were kids,"

"okay, wow," i say. "do you want me to buy you a new one?"

"no," jay shrugs. "i'm good,"

"wait, n/n are you two a thing?" evie asks me, pointing her extremely manicured hand at me and carlos.

"no," i say. "well, not yet anyway," carlos looks at me with a small smile on his face. i wink at him with a shrug. i look at my silver watch. shit. "i've got to go," i say standing it. "because, i do cheer i need to be at the field like right now, i'll see you guys later,"

"seeya on the field!"

"bye, n/n!"

"bye y/n,"

🦋

"are we ready?!" audrey asks the cheer squad as people start to fill up the bleachers. i tug on the blue, white and yellow [skort/shorts/leggings] as i stretch, ready for our cheer routine. the yellow bow on my [hair/braids/hijab/scarf/locs] fall out of place as i put it back in.

"yeah!" me and the cheer squad shout, ruffling our pompoms and screaming. i look up and see mal and evie with lonnie. i make eye contact with them and they wave. i smile and wave back.

i spot carlos in the field, wearing his tourney helmet. he's looking around though. i wonder what he's looking for...

"let's do this,"

🦋

"this is a nail-biter, folks," the announcer says as i ruffle the blue, white and yellow pompoms. i watch the game. we're going to win. i can feel it. there's no way we would lose. "there's forty seven seconds left on the clock. we're tied up. the sherwood falcons, two. the fighting knights, two. what a game between auradon's most fiercest rivals. as the team gets into their huddles and take up position along the kill zone, the dragoneers have been laying down a withering hail of fire,"

carlos and jay run onto the field, making me scream with joy. he can do this. i know he can.

"he's bringing that hothead jay in from the isle of the lost," the announcer says. "and that little guy carlos that can barely hold a shield," i roll my eyes an scoff at announcer. bet he's single. and lonely.

the whistle blows and the timer continues. jay swoops in and takes the pass. carlos blocks the opposing team, making me scream.

"yes carlos!" jay gets the ball back, passing it to ben through the kill zone. after a few blocks, he passes it to jay, who shoots for a goal but he misses. dammit. i huff as they retake it from the center. they play as they did before, carlos blocking another player making me scream. shit, i'm about to lose my voice with all this screaming. ben scores, letting the crowd erupt with cheers and chants. i jump out an down, shaking the pompoms.

i hug jane, who is wearing the mascot costume. it's a big knight costume. there's another which is a horse. i don't know who wears that one. she jumps up and down with me.

"what a team, incredible! and it's the new guys, jay and carlos, who set the prince up for a winner! what a victory! an absolute wonderful end to one of the best games ever! here they come folks, the winners of the first-"

"excuse me," ben says, taking the golden microphone off the announcer. i look at him confused as he smiles. "excuse me, can i have your attention please?" the crowd starts to quieten down. "there's something i'd like to say!" everyone looks around, not expecting an announcement from him. "give me an m!" he says, making an m over his head with his hands.

"m!" the crowd, the cheer squad and the tourney players follow. and so so i.

"give me an a!"

"a!"

"give me a l!"

"what does that spell?!" ben shouts into the microphone. oh shit. 

"mal!"

"come on!" ben exclaims. "i can't hear you!"

"mal!"

"i love you mal!" ben says. "did i mention that?"