chapter three

A few years later, 2019

Honey Adams

"Mom? Dad?" Honey opened the door for her parents. They hadn't planned to meet today. Or at least not to her recalling. "What are you guys doing here?" She let them into her apartment, taking their coats and hanging them up. They walked into the living room and sat down.

"Where's Amelia?" Tom, Honey's father, asked.

"She's taking a nap. Why?" Honey looked at her dad, he had something in mind. Something she wouldn't be pleased about. He stood up from the chair he was sitting in and started to walk towards Amelia's bedroom. "No, please don't go in there dad. You are going to wake her up."

"I want to see my granddaughter. You don't mind, do you?" Of course Honey minded. Amelia hadn't slept well last night. She had gotten a fever, and Ethan had dropped their daughter off the moment she had gotten sick. Dickhead. "No, I don't mind. Of course she will be happy to see her papa. It's just that she's sick and it will be hell to try to put her to sleep later."

Her father decided to still wake Amelia up. "It will be my job to put her back to sleep later, baby." Linda reassured her. Honey's eyes widened. What had her parents planned? "You're not taking her tonight, mom."

"We are, sweetie. Have you forgotten that it's your high school reunion tonight?" Honey's mother smiled at her daughter.

"I haven't forgotten it. I'm not going." Honey sighed. She had hit rock bottom when Ethan had filed for divorce when Amelia was only one year old. In highschool she and Ethan had been the it-couple. Everyone looked up to them. Wanting to be them. They didn't know what was going on between closed doors. Nobody did.

If they did - no, Honey didn't even want to think about it. She simply didn't want to go to the reunion. "Maybe you will see Christopher again?" Her mother suggested. "It's been so long since I've seen him. And you two were such good friends."

"Me and Chris were never friends, mom. Can't you please just let it be? I don't want to go."

*
"Come on," Kaylee begged her. "It will be fun. You need to get out of this black hole you have dug yourself into. Forget Ethan, it has been fucking four years. Maybe you will meet Chris again?" The only person in school that knew she had a huge crush on Chris was Kaylee.

"And why would I want to see him?" She looked at Kaylee, who was just smirking back at her. Those three had been in the same class since first grade, and she always had thought that Chris was the most handsome guy she had ever laid eyes on. It hadn't gone unnoticed by Kaylee.

"Because you are in love with him, duh." Kaylee threw her a dress she could be wearing. She hesitated. She still had some baby weight after Amelia she just couldn't get rid of. No matter how hard she tried. She didn't have her cheerleader body anymore, and a part of her was certain that that was the reason why Ethan had divorced her.

Wearing this tight fitting dress would only make her self conscious. How could someone think she was attractive when she looked like this. But she knew her best friend, it was for the better to just do as she got told and not argue. "I really don't want to. Besides, I need to go get my daughter. My parents can't babysit her for that long."

"No worries, babe," Kaylee put on the final touches on her makeup. "You know that they don't mind. Come on! We need to go now."

Driving into the parking lot at their high school everyone else had arrived. Kaylee linked her arm through Honey's. Walking inside arm in arm she put on her best smile. Sucking her stomach in as hard as she could.

Then she locked eyes with Chris. All her butterflies came back and she was back in high school again. It was a good thing that Ethan was two years older than her. He wouldn't be here today. It always led to them arguing and shouting at each other.

"I'm just going to get myself something to drink," She smiled at her best friend before she walked over to the tables with the refreshments. Deciding on lemonade she poured herself a cup. She was debating herself if she should try the chocolate cake or not. It would result in her having to put in an extra workout to zero out the calories.

"You should try the chocolate cake," Chris came up to her side and poured himself a cup as well. "It's so delicious."

"Hi Chris," She smiled at him and blushed lightly. Only if her butterflies would behave themselves that would be great. "How have you been? Last time I checked you have gotten all famous. How is fame treating you?"

"I'm good. Fame is...you know...fame," He laughed and she joined him. "How are you doing? Everything good between you and Ethan? Is he treating you well?"

"We are divorced." She took a slice of the cake, thinking she could always run an extra mile tomorrow to make up for it. "I have a daughter, she's almost five."

"Oh wow," Chris didn't know what to say. "That's...wow."

She nodded, taking a bite out of the slice of cake. Chris had been right. It was so delicious. "This is fucking delicious. Oh my God."

Chris smiled down at her. "You look absolutely ravishing tonight." She blushed lightly and this time Chris noticed.

Hearing that she looked good from him did something to her. It had been so long since someone had told her that. And Ethan had never said something like that to her since before her pregnancy. He had always told her that she needed to lose some weight.

"Thank you."

"I know this might seem strange," Chris started and rubbed his neck with the palm of his hand. "But I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me sometime? It doesn't have to be a date, just coffee between two friends."

"I would love to go out with you," She took a sip out of her cup. "On a proper date."

He smiled and nodded.

Honey Admas had agreed to go on a date with him.