chapter nine

Honey Adams

Chris slowly opened Honey's bedroom door. She was lying on the bed, her knees tucked up to her chest. It had been hard to lose her grandmother. Mrs. Rochelle had been Honey's biggest supporter from the day she was born. She was the only one who knew why Honey and Ethan had gotten a divorce. How Ethan had threatened to take Amelia away from her if she didn't cooperate with him.

He slowly placed himself behind her and placed an arm on top of her. "I know, baby. I know." He placed a kiss to the back of her head. They just laid there in silence, Honey's soft sobs the only noise being made. She was thankful that Chris didn't push her to talk. That was something she had loved about him from day one. He never pressured her to talk, he would let her talk when she was ready.

"Are you okay?" Teenager Chris knocked on the bathroom stall. He had rushed after Honey, who had sprinted to the bathroom down the hall when the bell rang. On the other side of the door Honey sat on the toilet, with a murder scene in her panties. "No, Chris. I'm not."

She didn't want to cry, it was just blood. Just her period. Nothing to cry about. "Do you need anything? Do you want to talk?" He was always such a sweet boy, cared a lot about her, and his girlfriend. Chris' girlfriend was pretty. Way prettier than Honey. Or that was what Honey thought. And she was smart, so smart. Isabella was on the maths-team, had A's in all her subjects, and every teacher's dream student. Honey was smart herself, but she wasn't Isabella. Chris' love.

"No."

"Okay."

Honey weighed her options. She could tell Chris about her period unexpectedly showing up, three days early, she could just spend the rest of her day until everyone had left for the day. That was stupid, she would get detention if she missed anymore classes.

"Chris? Are you still there?" She called out, crossing her fingers, hoping he hadn't gone away.

"Yes?" He called back and relief washed over her.

"I-I...I just got my-" She was cut off by someone entering the bathroom, and by the voice of the person, Honey knew it was Samantha.

"This is the women's restroom Chris. Get out." Her voice was high pitched and annoying.

"Fuck off Samantha!" Honey didn't have the time for Samantha's bullshit.

"Whatever." It was like Honey could hear Samantha roll her eyes before leaving the bathroom, leaving her and Chris alone again.

"I just got my period," Honey said quickly. "And I've bled through. This is so embarrassing."

"Oh, okay." That was all Chris was giving her? She understood that. "Do you need something?"

"I don't have anything, Chris." Honey cried. "I have nothing. It's early. It's never early. It's a mess." This was so embarrassing. What was she supposed to do now?

"I can call Isabella." Chris offered. "She might have a change of clothes. Do you want tampons or pads? It isn't embarrassing, Honey. It's nothing to be ashamed of."

"Thank you Chris. Truly." Honey took some toilet paper and tried to wipe some of the blood off her pants. "I have a pack of tampons in my locker. You remember my code?" She could hear Chris get up from the floor. "Yes. It's my birthday."

Good thing Honey and Chris were separated by the door, or else Chris would have seen her blush a deep crimson colour. Her feelings were still there. That was for sure.

*

It didn't take long for Chris to come back, only this time he wasn't alone. The knocks on the door this time were softer. "Honey?" Isabella's angelic voice sounded from the opposite side. "I have some clothes for you, and Chris has your tampons. Are you okay? Do you need something else? Some Ibuprofen? Chocolate?"

"I'm fine, thank you. The clothes and tampons will do." Isabella pushed the plastic bag under the door. Honey took the plastic bag and opened it. Inside there were jeans and some new panties. Changing her clothes, she put the stained pants and panties into the plastic bag and unlocked the door. Chris and Isabella leaned against the sink and Chris had an arm around his girlfriend's shoulder.

"Thank you Isabella. You just saved me a lot of embarrassment." Honey was sincere, even though she wanted Isabella gone and for her to have Chris' arm around her. "You will get your clothes back when I have washed them. Sometime in the next few days."

Isabella brushed her off. "Oh, don't stress about it. I'm just glad I could help." She checked her clock on her wrist. "I need to go. I have maths-club in a few minutes. You don't want to join Honey? I know you are really good at maths, and we could use another genius brain."

"Thank you for the offer. But you know...Ethan doesn't like me doing anything else than cheerleading."

"Okay." Isabella nodded at her and left with Chris, but stopped at the door and turned back to look at Honey. "If you change your mind, we will always have a spot open for you."

*

"She was the only one that understood me," Honey choked out. "My grandmother was the only one that understood the whole Ethan situation. Now she's gone, and I have no one I feel like I can talk to."

Honey didn't mean to hurt Chris' feelings, so she turned around to face him. He opened his arms and let Honey place her head on his chest. "I didn't mean it like that Chris. I just...It's..."

"Shh," Chris coaxed. "It's okay. I get it. I also have that one person I feel like I can talk to about anything. Are you okay?"

Honey shook her head. "No, not really. I wish I was able to open up more. There is so much only she knew about. She was my person. She got it. There is more to the story behind Ethan and I that...I don't know."

"Baby," Chris made Honey straddle his lap after he sat up and leaned his back to the wall. He placed his hands on either side of Honey's face, framing it, before he used his thumb to dry her tears. After that he placed his thumb on Honey's lower lip, and she involuntarily opened her mouth and let Chris place his thumb on her lower lip, dragging it down before releasing it and it popping back into place. "If you don't want to tell me the story behind Ethan, you don't have to do that."

"Okay." Honey felt like she had to. She felt like he had the right to know. They were dating after all.

"I mean it, Honey." Chris stated. "You only tell me if you want to. Whenever you want, if you want, I will listen. I promise."

Honey leaned in and kissed his lips softly before wrapping her arms around him and nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck.

She was falling in love. And she was doing that hard.

 And she was doing that hard

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.