chapter 19 - no value

𝐘/𝐍

Louis told me about his plan, and for the rest of lunch, we talked about our classes. 

Apparently Louis' maths teacher, Mr Luke, was quite wretched. 

"He gave us a lecture for most of the class, just talking about why phones are bad for you. Honestly, what a party pooper."

I laugh, and then pout. "Aw, that's the most heartbreaking thing I've ever heard," i say with a frown. "Forget all the starving people in the world, Louis Partridge can't use his phone in Maths!"

He cocks his head and narrows his eyes at me. 'Very funny."

I'm in a much better mood now. Evelyn hasn't looked at me even once after the first time, and i don't care. 

____________________________________________________________________

The rest of my classes for the day seem to fly by. Maybe because I'm dreading having to talk to Evelyn. I'm insanely mad at her.

Night time rolls around, and I've just had dinner. Me and Louis discussed the plan one last time, even though it was quite simple. 

I walked up to my dorm after eating and laid down in my bed for a while. It was 10, and i usually slept at 12. It should be different today though, because of school and all, but this plan is more important. 

I watch a movie on my laptop until late, and when i hear Evelyn talking to someone outside our room, I quickly shut off my laptop and bolt down the ladder. I hide behind the door, so she'll see me when she closes it. 

The door opens, and Evelyn walks in and goes straight to her side of the closet. She didn't even see me. 

I walk towards the lights and turn them on, startling her. 

"Care to explain yourself? Why are you ignoring me, Evelyn? What did i do wrong? I've done nothing but support you our whole lives. I deserve an explanation." 

She just stares at me blankly. 

"I'm talking to you. If our friendship has no value to you then just say so. Stop making me wait around the corner for you if you're never gonna arrive." I say, fuming. 

"Okay. Our 'friendship'," she says, while making air quotations, "has no value to me."

I stand there, shocked at what she just said. "Are you mental?" i finally splutter. "Okay. If thats what you want, so be it. But i need to know why. I need an explanation. You and I both know that i deserve it."

She scoffs at me. "Please. Just stop. You're being ridiculous."

"I'm being ridiculous? What about you? You're the one who doesn't hangout with me all day. You're the one who ditched me on our first day of school breakfast. You're the one that doesn't answer me all day long, and you're the one that's changing."

"God, Y/N. Grow up. We're Year 12's now. Just mature a little bit, like the rest of us. Everyone is changing. You're the only one stuck in your childhood."

"I thought it was our childhood." i whisper, on the brink of tears. 

She almost laughs at me. "You are such a baby."

"Evelyn. Just stop this, please. We've been friends our whole lives. Why are you pushing it away? Why are you pushing me away?" i say with tears finally streaming down my face. 

Evelyn's face hardens. She picks up a bag from her bed, walks towards the door, and says "You have to change to fit in, Y/N." and she walks out the door, closing it gently behind her. 

Leaving me to sob quietly by myself. 

She's treating me the worst I've ever been treated. I'm not sad. I'm mad. I'm furious. Why can't she just tell me what's wrong? There's so much i still want to say. I'm so angry that i can't even be sure I won't yell at her. 

We've been friends forever. We were meant to be friends forever. We were meant to go to college together, get sibling dogs, wear matching outfits, have a joint wedding, have kids at the same time, and so, so much more. 

Yea, maybe some of them were outdated now, but these were our childhood dreams. 

And she's throwing away everything. Every memory, every laugh, and every tear.

She was all I had when I came here, to this school. She was the only person I had. This was not supposed to happen. 

But the thing that worries me the most of everything else, was the awfully familiar voice in the hall.